Netherlands dwarf rabbit + New Zealand White

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
breeding a male Netherlands dwarf rabbit to a New Zealand white rabbit? anybody try it or know how they come out if bred together or if they would come out healthy?

not saying I would breed these 2 breeds together I raise both breeds and just had a passing thought

The kits probably wouldn't have any health issues... but the buck might find himself with some, depending on how the doe felt about it! He wouldn't have much chance if she didn't appreciate his attentions. :x

I can't see any benefit to crossing those two breeds though.

When I was a kid we bred our REW Netherland buck to a rescue Californian doe of an unknown age. She had 2 kits, one REW and one pointed. One was a buck and one was a doe. They turned out a little goofy looking but kind of cute! LOL

:pancake:

No problem, interesting thought. You could always try it, as long as you are willing to eat your mistakes, as it were. I just don't see any benefit, since one is a meat breed and the other is a pet breed. But if I only had two rabbits in my meat breeding program, I would breed 'em no matter what they were just to provide meat! :D

I've crossed out my netherlands to things. You just get some medium sized rabbits who lose the real netherland look like rounded heads and small ears. They look like any standard rabbit with no special characteristics. ND bucks do have a lot of trouble covering the large does though. They want to throw their body up on the doe and then their back half doesn't reach. It takes them awhile to get in position even with a calm willing doe.

Latest posts

Back