Nests in Colony

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BelleVie

Reaction score
To those of you who let your rabbits dig their own nests or have buried nest boxes - do you follow any of the guidelines (in traditional rabbit keeping books) for removing the nests/nest boxes once the litter is regularly going in and out of the nests? I have 3 semi-buried nest boxes but I don't want to remove the nest boxes completely because they are technically also the rabbits' dens that they decided to use as nests when the time came. I was going to take them out, clean them and put them back -- in an effort to prevent nest box eye (even though it hasn't been an issue). What are your thoughts on the issue and what do you do in your colonies?

We did not let ours dig. We built long, low rectangle boxes from plywood with a lip on the open end to stop wandering kits that were too young and used a hinged roof. Between litters we would scrape them out and throw a layer of pine pellets and a slice of straw in the end again.

Latest posts

Back