nesting really early

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akane

Reaction score
It hasn't even been 3 weeks since she was bred and today I found Twix had dug out a hole in the shavings, filled it with hay, and then pulled quite a bit of her own fur to mix in with it. I went ahead and put all the materials of her nest plus some extra hay in a nest box and set it over the same location.

Is there a problem with her getting ready this early and should I leave the nest box in?

I think that alot of does seem to do this. I don't know if it is too late to have a false pregnancy (haven't had one yet) but I know some oes prepare early...and a week isn't as early as some does I've heard. My doe Spooky was nesting a full week before her kits were due. I gave her a box, She distroyed her nest. I thought maybe I had screwed it up, because she had made a very nice nest, but everyone told me to hand on, she would likely do fine anyways. More towards the end, she finally started nesting again, but REFUSED to nest in her box, so I layed down a bunch of ripped newspaper, which she incorperated into her design and when the six healthy kits were born, I moved the whole shebang into the box. She took care of them in there just fine. Didn't lose a singe kit, even the runt.

I would leave the box in, but you may have to clean it, because sometimes (well my doe anyways) decides it makes a great litter box, and they make the nest else where.

She's not just a week early. She's not due for 2 more weeks so she's just over half way.

I usually find the does that make nests 2 or more weeks before their due dates are having false pregnancies. I still give them a nest box a few days before their actual due date just in case.

Latest posts

Back