Nesting box in a colony

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nothingman

Reaction score
I have a very cool piece of furniture that I'm thinking would be ideal for nesting boxes, but it's damn heavy, and I'm wondering whether I could just leave it in the indoor colony full-time... what do you think? Would they poop and pee all over it and make it unsuitable as a nesting box?

It's a section of an old exercise horse, 12" high, 8' long with a board in the middle making it two 4ft long, 12' high and 12' wide sections. I would add a hinged roof that left a gap uncovered at each end meaning each mom would have her own box. The mom's could easily hop in and out while the kids stayed inside. The mom's would also be able to hop and play on the roof full time.

My other thought is to block the roof completely and only give them access when birthing is due?

Any thoughts?

In a colony if the buck is present all the time, you don't always know when kits are due. I'd leave it in full time. Most rabbits in a colony are very clean... they choose a potty spot and all use it. There may be stray poops here and there, but nothing obnoxious.

Yup. What Maggie said. I'd leave it in full time. My colony girls do NOT poop or pee in the nest tunnels. In fact, they chased the one virgin doe OUT of one of the tunnels when she started using it as a litter box. :lol: They use them as hidey holes, and escape routes and things to run in.

If you DO find someone useing it as a litter box, clean it out, put the litter in a different corner...or move the nestbox. Once they need to use it as a nest, they'll figure it out pretty quickly.

When I had a sorta-kinda colony in my house (too many rabbits, not enough cages) it was pouf, her mama Spooky, and the new litter of six. Mama picked a corner for her babies, and a corner for potty, and she trained everyone to use the right corner for potty time. Mama rabbits are fairly clean, I think.

Latest posts

Back