Nestbox dreamin'

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Half Caper Farm

Reaction score
That's what my friend and I call it - looking at the new kits and trying to decide which ones will be showable. :cool:

Looks like I have one possible show quality kit out of the two Jap does. Surprise, surprise, it's a chocolate magpie. :roll: Seems to be what most of my showable kits are. Nice split face, front legs alternate to the face, and back legs alternate to the front legs. Decent banding, just the ears don't look to be too different, but that may change as it grows older. That's why we call it "dreamin'" :lol:

The other litter has one Jap with a nice split face, but nothing else going for it. :| And an odd coloured one - almost completely pale cream coloured with a few splotches of blue? Pretty, but not show quality. :)

it is fun to dream isn't it?

I have a litter of five choco magpies. Two does, three bucks. One lovely BUCK that is showable.

Not like I NEED him as I have Jack and later I can get Teapot from you....but I do wonder if I'll be able to sell him.....HE'll probably stick in my grower cage til I need the room or I can find a home for him or if worst comes to worst.... have lunch. :)

awwww I like the name :)

amazing to know how early you can tell - though I guess the harli's are so much on marking that makes it easier to dream young?

amazing to know how early you can tell - though I guess the harli's are so much on marking that makes it easier to dream young?

Yep! And then somebody chews off their tail, or takes a chunk out of their ear, or the mother stomps them. :evil: The mismarked ones all grow to be fat and happy.

"Teapot", that Ladysown mentioned, is a lovely chocolate Magpie buck - beautifully marked, deep colour, . . . and no tail. :( Hence the name "Chocolate Teapot" as in 'as much use as a .....'. He'll be going down to her in the spring as a breeding buck.

I also have "Pierce", who had a hole punched right through his ear, but that healed up well enough that I can show him. He did well at Rockton. And "Nick", who had a slit ear when I got him. Again, that healed up pretty well, and he has shown.

What you do with your nice showable buck is keep him until the spring, put him on the table, and have a "for sale" sign on his carrier. If he's nice enough, you won't need the sign. :D

HAHAHAHA Choclate Teapot - poor little fella

PIERCE - HAHAHAHAH

you are as bad as me

Delilah 9da lilac point siamese)
Squash (had a picnic table land on her)
Ford (hit by car)
Axl (got caught by fan belt)
Irvine (had oil spilled on him)
I could go on and on ....

Well, ya gotta have fun with it! :D

We have a Nubian cross doe that we named "Angel" (because of the 'wings'). Her first kid was Gabriel, then the twins, Eve (white) and Lilith (dark brown), then this year's kid is Raphael. Gabriel was a big hit in the Christmas parade this year, with me as his 'shepherd'. He's a big boy, so we got a lot of "look at the llama!" :x

will people still buy him if he's a full harlequin but his grandad I didn't purchase his pedigree? So therefore his pedigree isn't complete? I just couldn't see spending the extra dollars on a pedigree when at the time I only wanted a meat buck that wasn't a NZW. (who woulda known that Red would be such a character that I would fall in love with the breed)? :)

Rabbits SHOULD NOT be such characters...they just make you crazy for them.....crazy I tell yah!

If he's nice enough, they will.

OK, maybe I'm jinxing myself, but I gotta brag! The chocolate magpie kit is looking better and better every time I look at it. The dark ear is getting darker and the light ear is getting lighter - everything else is staying the way it should. And it has a tail! :wbounce:

Back