Nest box Tricks with Kits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
A question that comes up frequently is
WHAT to do with kits that leave the box early and are too little to get back in on their own?

These are the responses I've gleaned.

1. tip box on side
2. put a brick at the front of the nest box
3. remove the bedding from the front of the box so they can't climb out as easily

If number one doesn't do the trick for me, or I can't due to the design of the box, I put in a baby box. This is a box with a base and three sides. One side is three inches, the other almost 4 inches so it tilts when placed upside down.

For the two-four week old kits I put it in, base down. This gives the kits a place to snuggle.

For the four-five week old kits that still want "their place" I turn it upside down. They can hide under the box, and mom can jump up top. OR the kits can jump up top and thereby leave mom alone. the tilts means that any waste is more inclined to roll or dribble off so the box doesn't get dirty as quickly, but the slope isn't so bad that the kits or mom refuse to sit up there.

Any other tricks of the trade?

let me see if I describe it better

one 8 x 10 piece of wood. attach to one side a 3 x 10 piece of wood, to the other side a 4 x 10 piece of wood and to the back a 3 x 8 piece of wood. Nail it all together.

When putting it in I put in the bedding from the nestbox. and place it 8 x 10 piece down. the kits go...oh...this smells like us, let's nest here. :)

Once they are out and about all the time (aka out when I do the night check), I turn it over in the morning. the snugglers will crawl underneath, the bold and brave will explore and sit up top. :)

Back