Nest box suprise.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allranger

Reaction score
My Champagne doe kindled the other day. All but one of the kits is white. So I am going to guess that one of my Champagnes may not be as pure bred as my pedigrees show.

:D

OOP's lol What did you breed her two? Another Champagne?? Or is she kept by an NZ or Cali Buck?? I have heard of rabbits mating through the cages. We keep our bucks with 3 inches at least away from the Does.

The father is another Champagne. They havn't open their eyes yet but their markings look like a Californian or a Himalayan. I was under the impression the REW was totally white. Is my impression incorrect?

I'll post some pictures later. I did not want to disturb the mother to much because this is her first litter and she is very territorial with the nest box.

Sorry I thought you said white which means REW in most breeds. however they can't be pointed (cali-marked) as they are too young to start showing points yet... So looking forward to the pictures!! :)

Another thought would be that they were born with their silvering already??! That would be awesome though!

So here at the pictures. Turns out there are five kits. Two blacks ones, which are normal. Three white ones that are an anomaly. I tried to show the nose and ears of one of the white ones, as there is a light grey coloring.
I guess it will be interesting to see if they turn silver at all. Of course you probably won't be able to tell because they are white.

Attachments

• image004.jpg
    image004.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 1,369
  • image003.jpg
    image003.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 1,369
  • image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 1,369
  • image001.jpg
    image001.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 1,369
I would guess someone bred out to CA and then either lied or it's just off the pedigree. I have a creme doe with NZ just off the pedigree and she gives me blacks. The recessives can carry that far. Although it's odd that both your rabbits had the genetics for it. Did you get them from the same person?

I did not get the rabbits from the same person. However, most of the Champagnes in the north west are all related.

Latest posts

Back