nest box idea.....

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anntann

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
or thought, really. The colony does are adapting SO well to these tunnels, that I'm wondering if they wouldn't work in a cage situation? Don't know if you remember, but I lost 3 or 4 NZ kits when Mama leaped into the nestbox during a thunderstorm :( I had thought I'd make the nestbox longer, with a deeper covered area to keep that from happening again...but what about a tunnel? It could be the length of one side of the cage, 12" tall, 12" deep, with an opening on one side at the far end and a top "hatch" section that opens at the opposite end.

so...you put the tunnel in so that the viewing window(hatch)is toward the cage door. (so that you can open the hatch and see in...wouldn't even need to open the cage door if you rig up a string). Doe enters the opposite end and makes her nest on the hatch end. If your cage is tall enough, the doe can rest up on top of the tunnel. (my girls use them as a second layer of shelving that they can lay down on)

Obviously, for a smaller breed, like mini rex or the English Angora types, you could make the tunnel lower.

I like the idea of the drop down nest boxes, but with the way our drop pans are made for the cages Mike built, (they're formed galvanized steel that slope down from 3 sides and are attached to the cage) I can't figure out how to add a drop down nest..unless I put it on the OUTSIDE of a side...like a backpack :D

Thoughts? laughter? other ideas?

Latest posts

Back