Nest box eye???

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iloverabbits18

Reaction score
My doe recently had kits and all are fine except one. It has a transparent like contact lenses and the eyes are open which is unnatural, only showing the contact lens. I think it may be nest box eye, but its a little odd for it to be seen in a kit just born. Ive been treating it with chamomile tea and cleaning the outside gunk but the inside still looks really like a contact lens. It is on both eyes. I don't want to reach inside the eye to get rid of it. Please give me some information on how to cure it and any idea on what the infection might be. Also is there a way I could get rid of the infection. Is it contagious to other kits?

Are they really JUST born? If so, their eyes shouldn't even be open. If they are born open, its most likely a max factor kit (no saving, better to put down, they do not survive and are not formed correctly). Pictures?

It was only one baby. But I wanted to know if the contact like lens inside the eye was natural in rabbits just born?

It's not normal to see a baby rabbit's eyes right after they're born. Kits are born with their eyes closed and they don't open for around 10 to 12 days.

I've never seen what you've described with a newborn. And cloudy eyes on an older rabbit usually indicates blindness.

That is a genetic mutation... you will have likely noticed that the kit cannot close its eyes? Eventually the eyeballs will dry up from lack of blinking which spreads tears over the eyes.

The kit needs to be euthanized.

Well after I cleaned out the outside gunk the eye remained closed. So i'm not sure it is a genetic mutation. Every time i do clean the outside gunk the eye remains closed like the other kits.

Unfortunately that's not looking good for that little guy :( what does it look like closed? what are your plans if it is able to grow out? is it for meat or pets? If it somehow is able to comfortably survive for several weeks I wouldn't let it be for anything but meat. definitely not one to breed. There's also a chance there are underlying issues as well.

The eye of the rabbit looks like closed is like a regular rabbit. It looks just like the other healthy kits in the nest. This kit is meant as a pet. We thanks again

For now he doesn't look like he's in pain but that could change as he becomes better co-ordinated and he can scratch and/or rub them

Rabbit (and puppy and kitten and mice and etc...) eyes are sealed shut in the uterus to protect them from amniotic fluids - if this kit was born this way then the eye was likely open in-utero and may be permenantly damaged, irritated and/or will always be prone to infection

Wait and see but please have a plan if it looks like he is suffering

iloverabbits18":1jmpjn1v said:
Well after I cleaned out the outside gunk the eye remained closed. So i'm not sure it is a genetic mutation. Every time i do clean the outside gunk the eye remains closed like the other kits.

Can you post a picture of the closed eye? The formation of the eyelid looks so abnormal that I would like to see how it manages to close completely.

Sure. Ill post a pic tomorrow morning after I clean the eyes with warm chamomile tea :lilbunny:

-- Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:12 am --

The kit does not look like it is suffering. It looks calm and sleeps like the other kits. This morning I cleaned out the eye and it softened the eye to open and then remain closed. I think the contact lense like in the eye may be natural but Im very unsure. There are pics below of the eye cleaned with warm chamomile tea and then another pic of the eye closed. <br /><br /> -- Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:22 am -- <br /><br /> This is a pic of the eye open after I cleaned the eye and before the kit closed it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    338.7 KB · Views: 1,527
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    380.3 KB · Views: 1,524
I have to admit I am very surprised that it can close the eye! It is definitely not a Max factor kit.

I would just continue on with the treatment. Adding raw honey to the tea will likely speed the healing- it is antibacterial and I have been amazed at the results I have gotten when using the combination. Bacteria thrives in warm, moist, low light/low oxygen conditions, so check the kit frequently through the day so that you can treat the eye whenever it becomes sealed shut. The more it is exposed to light and air, the better.

Good luck with the little guy. :clover:

Thank you so much for your help, MamaSheepdog I will definetly try the raw honey and hope it works of the kit. I would hate to have to cull it without trying to save the kit. Thank you so much again. :)

When I posted, the only picture visible was with the eye closed.

I am not sure what that membrane is on the eye- could it be dead tissue? Do both eyes have it?

As for the eye color, many rabbits do have red eyes. The kit appears to be white, so red would be the normal color for it.

Yes both eyes do have the kind of membrane like tissue, But no matter how much I try to get rid the membrane like tissue , it never does come off. Thanks again! :)

-- Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:35 am --

Ok. Both eyes do have the membrane like tissue in both eyes. Thanks again :) <br /><br /> -- Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:36 am -- <br /><br /> Yes both eyes have the membrane like tissue

Perhaps someone here has seen something similar, but this is totally new to me... please do keep us updated on the progress as a learning tool and in case someone in the future has a kit with the same issue.

Having dissected eyes in the past, I really feel that the membrane your are seeing is the cornea of the eye. It has probably dried out and detached because of the lid being unable to fully cover the eye. However, I'm not a vet or a doctor. <br /><br /> -- Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:22 pm -- <br /><br /> You might want to also read through this post post260083.html

Dood makes the suggestion of cryptophthalmos in regards to that kit.

from what I see of the eye it is not placed in the socket properly. it's looks sunken.

The eye is most likely damaged.

it may end up being a kit suitable for a pet home, but only after you keep it long enough to ensure it won't be a problem with getting infections and what not. The closed eye doesn't look properly closed for a kit of that age either.

So take the wait and see approach. if the kit doesn't appear to be in distress (see by eating, drinking, growing well) and as it is weaned moving about doesn't appear to favour it or hold the eye closed or get infected/weeping/puss-y then that tells you something as well.

Latest posts

Back