Nest box eye?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowbelle

Reaction score
I'm having repeating cases of what I believe is "nest box eye". Kits can't open one or both eyes due to some sticky gunk. It's very little stuff, but seems to seal the eye. I've been washing it off with a warm washcloth, and using some Vetricin eye ointment. They do get over it, and I've looked for an antibiotic ointment, but our feed stores no longer carry it. What causes this and what should I be using? Not every kit gets it, and they are 2-3 weeks old. Nest boxes have soft grass hay in them. Any help is welcome! Judith

Cleaning the nest box materials out and replacing them on Day 9, just before the kits open their eyes, can help prevent this. Bathing the eye with either black tea or chamomile tea, with or without honey, can be beneficial. If the kits are indoors, dry winter air can exacerbate the tendency to eye problems. If you know a good antibiotic ointment, try buying it on-line. Ebay often has items of this type - but you do need to know what you want. Watch the expiry dates!

I use triple antibiotic ointment sold in every drugstore for people boo boos.The brand names Neosporin.

Cowbelle":2b8x01kc said:
I've got plenty of Neosporin but didn't think it was for eyes. I'll check - thanks for the ideas.
J*

You are correct, you should NOT use just Neosporin or Triple ABX in the eye. It needs to be "opthalmic" ointment (made for the eye)

Back