need to see if this right...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
here is a picture of the fur that I got on the comb off of either giant or german rabbits.. As I am not sure anymore..
2zjktw8.jpg

This is one is the look of one...I weight her .. she is just over 7 pounds and just turned 5 months old. so still growing to do depending on which one she is.

i3gkdg.jpg

here is a pic under the rabbit..
wtgjlg.jpg

SO CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT I HAVE OR MIGHT HAVE HERE.

If she is shedding she is not officially a 'German Angora' according to the breed clubs requirements.

German Angoras have been selectively bred not to shed so plucking the hair would be very painful as it doesn't want to leave the skin and it certainly should not come out with brushing.

I'm not sure why it matters as long as spinners find the fur acceptable but if you want to label them I would advertise the kits as shedding German angora hybrids.

Neither German or most English should shed wool. Hybrid, of an undefined origin, perhaps. Probably French/German, or Giant.

Maybe some lines of german do shed, even though it is not breed standard.

Breed standard is what the judges want to see, but that doesn't mean that a certain breeder doesn't want to see it in his/her lines. If you go by standard alone, my Frenchies would have to be crossed with giants as they are all 11-12 pounds except for one runty doe (who is still probably 8 pounds). However, the breeder that all of my stock except the runty doe is from (either directly or one generation down the line...) breeds for large rabbits that have very dense wool, so not only do you have a dense wooled animal, you also have a larger one that produces more fiber due to shear size of the animal. I can look all the way back in my lines and see that every one of those rabbits is pure french, and if I need reassurance, I can just drive a couple hours and meet most of the rabbits on the pedigree, as well as who is on their pedigree.

As far as by looks, it would be possible for your rabbits to contain some French. I only have one rabbit (keep in mind all of mine are pure, except one buck who is crossed with satin) again, the runty doe, who does NOT have whiskers and little tufts of fur between the ears. Most of mine even have medium length guard hair on their heads that looks a bit like a mop was tossed there. The lady my stock comes from likes these things. I can't say that she breeds those in specifically, but I do know that she shows and is VERY successful with her rabbits, so it's obviously not a DQ from the show table. Not to mention my doe who does not have these also has the least fur density of the whole bunch. It's really dissapointing, but for her size, she has almost the longest coat in the rabbitry. (No one in my rabbitry has been able to beat my Rue for density and length.)

thanks psf... I was talking to one breed and showed her pics.. she told me that germans do shed there coat once a year.. She also said that there might be some French in mine as the forehead isn't as wide as it suppose to be... I am waiting on the other one to respond to my pics that I send her of the exact same ones... that is louise

No, but that is Rue's momma Honey. They look identical, but unfortunately Honey passed away before I could get a litter from her. Rue was out of her only surviving litter from the breeder I bought them from.

__________ Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:40 pm __________

And my rabbits aren't crabby for wanting to be bred, only some when they are bred and most for the first few days after they have litters. I don't take litters away from their does. I have no point to. Sure the moms are a little grouchy, but I don't mind. She's doing her job. It is however, inexcusable for that behavior to crop up at any other point, and I don't find that a does temperament around her kits changes the way she acts any other time. Rue is grumpy the first few days after kindling, and is back to herself after she gets it that I want nothing more than to check on the kits.

Also, my kits are well socialized even without doing so. (I know no one brought that up in this thread, but I know that was one of Betty chu's main arguement points for separating litters.) I don't have the time to shuffle litters back and forth in the morning before work, so it would be extra stress for me to try to. Instead, I play with my babies and let them run around the house when I have free time. Then' walkways ended up as lovey little things even without taking them away.

Latest posts

Back