Need suggestions for outdoor hutch!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Here's what we have going on. We build everything ourselves, and we are getting ready to start on another rabbit hutch. This one is going to be a bit different than the last, and are wanting to make a blueprint, and get your suggestions first.

So here's what we're thinking!

The back half of the hutch we are going to attach to the fence here.

11693978_798325486950707_1620485972255806546_n.jpg

We're wanting to make just a frame that is 10ft long, and we will be building 5 individual cages that fit inside the frame. We are needing some help on that, pics, dimensions, etc. Just whatever to give us a bit more of an idea. Now the trick is that we are wanting build it so that during the winter it is easily broken down, and moved into the garage. The big detail we're wanting is how to make a roof that is secure, and but is easily taken down as well.

So what ever ideas you guys have, let me have it!! :D

Are you wanting to stack the cages? I ask because a single row of 5 cages in a 10' long space (under roof) really means the cages would have to be less than 24" long each, and that's awful small for Californians and other large meat breeds.

If you're not wanting to stack cages, I could see a way to build it, it would just be longer. But keep in mind, anything secure enough to protect the buns and support a roof is going to be tough to completely remove. Personally, I am not sure I would trust posts supporting a roof for that long a span that weren't cemented into the ground. You could use hanging cages and easily bring them inside for the winter, but the structure would remain. Basically, during the winter you would have some posts and a roof out there.

If you're talking a single level of cages, there is no way they will fit under a 10" roof. As it is, the only way five 24x36 cages would come close to fitting under a 10" roof is to have them in sideways, and that leaves you zero space to get into the cages at all. If you have them in longways, you are talking a minimum of a 15' roof span, and likely even longer if you want separate cages that you can remove.

Doing the 24 by 36 cages could work, the only issue would be the doors being on the ends. Not so much of an issue, except for reaching in to get a rabbit at the back.

Can you build a support frame that you can slide cages into during the summer (and lock them in), and then come winter you can bring those cages inside loaded into a vertical stacking feature?? Granted, the outside portion would remain through the winter, but you have the option of moving just the cages rather than a very large, heavy hutch.

If I could add one thing to my outdoor cages, it would be access to an enclosed nesting box/hidey hole.

EnglishSpot":1ptvyqtw said:
Can you build a support frame that you can slide cages into during the summer (and lock them in), and then come winter you can bring those cages inside loaded into a vertical stacking feature?? Granted, the outside portion would remain through the winter, but you have the option of moving just the cages rather than a very large, heavy hutch.

If I could add one thing to my outdoor cages, it would be access to an enclosed nesting box/hidey hole.

That is exactly what we are aiming for!

For that number and size of cages,
I believe you would have to go 15 feet long.
You might want to go 20 feet long so you will have room for supplies.
How wide will you build it? I would suggest 5feet wide or a bit wider.
You will probably end up closing the whole structure in for both your and the Rabbits protection from the elements. Rabbit do very well in the colder weather, making it unnecessary
to bring cages inside during the Winter months. In fact doing so is more stressful on the Rabbits than having them remain outside where they will develop a much thicker Coat.
While you are in the planning stage, make it easier on yourself and your Herd.
As always, JMPO.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Latest posts

Back