Need some adivce about introducing bucks

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunhallarabbitry

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I'm going to be bringing home a little Dwarf Hotot buck on June 10. He's going to be an house bun, but right now our year old Lionhead/Rex is in my room as well. I'm hoping that everything will go well and Loki (our current buck) won't start spraying or something. Also, since the little Dwarf buck is so tiny should I try to keep their outside the cage time separate? I've heard that bucks can be especially aggressive, while others say they've introduced adult bucks and they've become bonded.

I would love to know your guys' opinions!

I have one buck who loves everyone, and all bunnies, but he gets attacked by my other buck. He was with Stuart when they were younger and got along fine, and then one day fur EVERYWHERE!!! Since then, separated. I can still put him in with my does and he is a total lover and snuggler. And the poor guy would love to snuggle with even the other guys but they aren't having it!

If it were me, I would keep them separate.

I have adult bucks together in colonies. Half the time I just toss a rabbit down on the floor and let them work it out. They've never caused each other serious injury with 12x12' of space to share and the bucks are actually much better than the does. Occasionally I have to pull apart 2 rabbits a time or 2 in the first 5 mins and by then one has figured out it's going to lose and starts avoiding the other. The does though will continue to harass each other for days if not a week before letting it go while the bucks have settled things within 24hrs. I now have a 4lb mini rex buck running around with a 15lb champagne d'argent and a champagne doe because I needed his cage. However using introduction procedures would make things go smoother with less risk of injury and are required if you are using a smaller space. Usually that involves putting their cages next to each other for so long, letting one out with the other in a cage/pen it can see through so they can visit through the bars, and then putting them both in neutral territory (not either one's usual play area) at the same time and being ready to separate if they ball up in a fight. The house rabbit society has other suggestions to introduce rabbits http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/introductions.html .

It is best not to ever try to combine unaltered rabbits of the same gender in anything less than a full room. If you are putting them away to individual cages and only letting them out for play time it may not work because they may forget their standing with each other or one may decide it no longer applies and end up fighting it out every single time you put them back together even if they worked it out the first time. It's also entirely possible one may start spraying. That's why neutering house rabbits is a good idea. It makes things much easier. The odds of fighting, spraying, and mating behaviors are greatly reduced and you can often then cage 2 rabbits together all the time.

Thank you so much for the info!
My bedroom is 12' x 18' so I think if a fight did start the little by could get away if he had to, and we could get Loki put away. The new buck is only going to be around 8 weeks old though, is that going to be a problem??
Yeah, I'm hoping Loki doesn't start spraying or he's going to have to go out. I won't be neutering any of them since Loki is a breeder and Grayson (the hotot) will be a breeder as well. At what age do bucks start spraying? Once the hit closer to breeder age right?
Also, I've heard of some people introducing new rabbits in a bathtub since its a totally new area. Or taking them on a car ride together.
I'll read those links you provided right now. Thanks again!

Back