need info on litter box training

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyMarkVlp

Reaction score
i have meat rabbits and ran into one that i just cant eat shes way too awesome, and i want to make her a house rabbit. im just curious how you guys litter box train your house bunnies, and how often they wind up having accidents.

i could continue to house her outside but shes got the best personality and it would be cool to have an indoor bunny but i really dont feel like sweeping and mopping constantly if they are inconsistant with the litter box.

any advice or links that might help me decide what to do would be helpful. thanks guys

My house rabbits still live in pens, since they chew wires, dig, and such. None have ever been 100% reliable with the litterbox either :lol: , although some bucks have managed to get 90% or so in the box...

Mucky has never really gotten more than 60% in a litter box. :roll:

Not sure if this helps but when I had my house in Toronto many years ago I had a rabbit of undetermined breed, medium size, black and white with blue eyes, like a husky, and it took about a week or so to litter train it. I found a corner it liked to do it's business in and put a cardboard box with newspaper there. It took to the box pretty good and when it had been using the box for a while I changed it to a litter box with litter. Except for an accident from time to time it was very consistent on using the litter box.

I have tried to litter box train all of my rabbits, and 2 of my 3 rabbits it has worked on! They live outside, but I can bring them in for hours on end.
When they need to pee or poo they just hop on over to their litter box and do their business! :bunnyhop:

Its really not hard at all, as rabbits are naturally clean animals.
I started with putting a litter box with grass hay in it in their cage, and they just hop in it and eat the hay. When they are eating they pee and poop in there, and they just learn to go in there when they need to go to the bathroom. If they poop or pee outside of the litter box, just clean it up as soon as possible and just throw the scattered droppings in the litter box.
It only took 2 of my 3 does a couple days to get the hang of it. But Pumpkin, my 3rd doe, she seems to just not like it! She pees in it and poops in it occasionally, but every day I still have to clean the floor of her cage..... that little stinker ;D

Hope this helps!
-PL500

Latest posts

Back