Need help with newborn kits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yanni

Reaction score
I have a doe that is known as an "attack" doe. When anyone comes near her, she karate chops. The kids call her Tai Kwon Doe. Everyone said she just wants bred, so I bred her. Yesterday when I went out, she was frantic about building her nest. Good sign. When I checked on her later in the afternoon, she had 4 kits in there! No fur though. One kit looked deformed or maybe underdeveloped. It was dead, so I removed it. One kit is really tiny. About half the size of the two normal kits. When I went out this morning, I could hear them "crying" in there. When I checked, they were scattered and bloodied. She stomped them! They have yucky bottoms. Do I remove them? Maybe take them out to her to nurse them? This is her first litter. I was really hoping that letting her be a mom would chill her out. It hasn't.

Not all does get it right the first time. I'd remove the kits in the nest box and take them indoors. Do what you can for them in terms of first aid and make sure they have plenty of bedding to keep them warm. Take them to the doe twice a day for nursing. Once the pressure of her milk builds up a bit, it may trigger her nursing instincts. Please remember that the doe is not malicious or "bad" - she is just inexperienced and clueless. Many improve the second time around. Some never get it.

I completely agree with MaggieJ, I'd also take the doe out, flip her upside down and pull some of the loose fur from her thighs and tummy and put it in with the babies.

Good luck with the kits ! :)

remember to wear gloves. I have a doe like that. Ouch. Can't put my fingers near the cage without getting bit. She is due this weekend and I am planning on giving her a nestbox that hangs on the side of her cage at the door opening. It will have a door I can open up to check on the kits. That way I may not have to deal with her attacking, as I won't have to reach into the cage.

I decided that since this was her first litter, and her being the way she is (she came to me this way and I thought a little love and attention was what she needed) that I would give her back her kits and see if mother-gear would kick in. It didn't. She ignored them and they are gone :cry: I will breed her again and maybe one or two other does so I might have a foster mom available. Her attitude is strike one, this loss is strike two. One more shot at it. She is really beautiful, but so cranky! My youngest calls her a pretty witch and my oldest calls her the head cheerleader. Age appropriate, I guess.

Latest posts

Back