Need help with approximate doe age (pics included)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmywalt

Reaction score
This is a minirex doe that we were told is about 10 months old, but the person really didn't know for sure.

She has the "thing around her neck" so I wondered could she really be this young. I know it's hard with pictures but I thought I'd ask.

Thank you.

Attachments

• DSC_3472_resize.JPG
    DSC_3472_resize.JPG
    565.1 KB · Views: 353
  • DSC_3474_resize.JPG
    DSC_3474_resize.JPG
    497.8 KB · Views: 353
  • DSC_3475_resize.JPG
    DSC_3475_resize.JPG
    514.8 KB · Views: 353
For future reference the "thing" around her neck is called a dewlap. She looks to be about 10 months, she doesn't look old she has this thing about her that says "I'm not old". I had a Mini Rex doe, I got her at about 5 months, she had a litter at 6 months and started packing on the dewlap and by the time she was 9-10 months old she looked like a very nice mature doe.

I agree with MR_ND... something about her says, "I'm not that old."

However, it is pretty hard to tell, once they reach maturity. There's just nothing that really changes after that point. They're not like horses... can't look at the teeth and estimate the age. :shrug:

I couldn't spell dewlap......... LOL!

Thank you! We pray that she's still young and will have some cute babies soon. She should be having babies around August 12th.

I have older does that have been bred and no dewlap, and does that haven't and have big ones at 6 mos.

I hope she has lots of cute buns for you.

My doe is starting to develop her dewlap at 4 months. If she's 10 months old, she is a fully mature rabbit and should have a well developed dewlap. I can't wait until mine is older so I can get some babes!

I find toenails are a better indicator in small animals. They will go from little points to thick nails with points that might begin to need trimmed around sexual maturity to blunt wide nails when kept trimmed at an older age. Light toenails may also turn yellow as they age past the point of having blunt ends. In particular nails that are wide, blunt, yellowish and that have a twist or curve are usually older animals that have been retired from showing and someone neglected a nail trim when the animal was no longer being judged. It works with guinea pigs too. Little needle claws then wider but still pointed claws and eventually the blunt, curvy, discolored nails.

jimmywalt":2kjkcpwz said:

Thank you! We pray that she's still young and will have some cute babies soon. She should be having babies around August 12th.
So this is the little girl who had such bad diarrhea last week?!? You had told us what a turnaround she'd had, but wow, to see her in pix, you'd never know how sick she was just a few days ago. Pretty bun. :)

Miss M":jzfbqavt said:
jimmywalt":jzfbqavt said:

So this is the little girl who had such bad diarrhea last week?!? You had told us what a turnaround she'd had, but wow, to see her in pix, you'd never know how sick she was just a few days ago. Pretty bun. :)

Yes this is her! We still have her on 95% oatmeal & hay each day. We are worried that the pellets (or possibly a treat we gave her) made her stomach sick. We are going to try to get her back on 100% pellets over the next few days. It's just scary doing it because we don't want her to get sick again.

Oh, I totally understand... just keep watching her bunny berries. Don't give treats for now. I'd probably wait until a few days after she kindles, assuming she does kindle.

Any abnormality in her bunny berries, and take her back off the pellets. She may not be able to eat that brand or something. :(

And if shes pregnant, especially if she has a good size litter, she'll show. All 3 om my mini rex's showed at about 2-3 weeks along. One had 7, one had 6, and 1 had 4 and they were pretty big. Heres a picture of my broken blue doe when she was about 2 weeks along with her litter of 6

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 259
Back