Naming rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DevonW

Reaction score
How do you name your rabbits? Do you have a theme? Do you try to get creative? Or settle on the simple? Or try to be as unique as possible?

I try to be creative and unique with my names, and recently I was e-mailed by a TB horse breeder who though Mon Dieu was such a wonderful name she's naming a colt that :D

Most of our rabbits so far came with names, but I did let my kids name the first two Brazilians, since they had only numbers. Two of my boys are the primary caretakers of those two rabbits, and they named the buck Smokey (he's a frosted white with a light grey butterfly on his nose) and the doe Chica. For our 'Zils we'll probably go with Spanish/Portuguese names, and for our Cals we're going to go with the hurricane names list at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutnames.shtml (DH and I are both meteorologists).

[Aside: youngest son is looking over my shoulder when he should be finishing his Latin lesson for the day. He said he's going to name one of the rabbits "Cena" (Latin for "dinner")!]

I let the kids name them. We have does named Cookie(as in cookie dough), Hoppers, Sleepers, Ferocious, and Nibbles. Bucks named Jet and Mr. Buck. We have a buck and a doe that were just given to us so they don't have names yet.

The goats have a naming theme, the rabbits not so much.

I have a buck named "Chocolate Teapot" - nicely marked Harlequin, no tail.
A doe out of "Sky Captain", by "Running on Empty" - "Space Cadet"!

One of last year's goat kids is "Princess Royal" (a Morris jig) but her barn name is "Penny" - every time I opened the pen door, she was out, turning up like a . . . bad penny. :lol: She knows her name. :)

I name the rabbits I am keeping for breeders, but I don't worry about being too creative because, after all, these are just meat rabbits for our own use. Our NZ Red buck is called Jasper for his colour. We have an Alice and a Polly because I like old-fashioned people names for rabbits. The three youngsters we kept from Alice's last litter we gave herb names in honour of their deceased sire, Basil. So we have a Rosemary, a Sage and a Thyme.

I tend to name them people names. :) If I"m selling a litter and people want pedigrees I pick a letter and everyone gets named by the letter. I need names that I can remember easily. :)

Occasionally my son gets involved and then they get other types of names. aka...New New Easter, Sender, Tagu's Pet, Friend Bounce,

My most recent foray into non-human names resulted in ... Magic!

With my starting rabbits I named them after characters on That 70's Show because DS was addicted at the time. I had Fez, Donna (chocolate satin), Jackie (Champagne d'Argent) & Midge (Cal). Only Fez and Donna are left. My newest White Rex is so super plush that I had to name her Charmin.

Lately I've been giving my Does old fashioned or names from my genealogy research: Fiona, Sophia, Delilah, Beulah.

The Tort I'm keeping will be Lucy, and the NZW buck that I'm saving from Sophia's litter (the ones that are bound to be huge) I'm going to have to call Harvey just to see who gets it!

Kat

My bucks are Adam (first buck I bought), Stanley, Marshall and Fred.

Does are Scarlett (red), Wanda and Morgan. I"ve really cut back for this winter and garage/rabbitry remodeling and may keep a couple more does in the spring when everything settles down. Three litters of different ages growing now so lots to choose from.

I know, having more bucks than does isn't normal, it just worked out that way for now and will be corrected in the spring when I'll make some more decisions.

the NZW buck that I'm saving from Sophia's litter (the ones that are bound to be huge) I'm going to have to call Harvey just to see who gets it!

Please, tell me he's not going to be six feet tall! :shock:

I try to let my bunnies name themselves. Sometimes, it just happens-- other times, it takes a while. I have a very sweet, dopey buck that is "Fred", my AmChin buck is "PJ"(his ear number is PJN15- named by Sweet Saloma)A MR doe that is named with her ear number on her pedigree- but I call her 'Stoni', a MRxHL red agouti doe is 'Rusti' Some of you may remember "Wild Child" and "Tip" they named themselves. I currently have one small black buck running loose--I can't decide if he is "Slick" or "Shadow"- he hides in the shadows, can slip out of the net faster than quicksilver, is too smart to enter a live trap--and he does torment me-- coming up from behind, pulling on my pant leg, then running when I turn---

When I used to show rabbits, I named my rabbitry after how I named my rabbits. My first trio I wanted to name them "paired" names, but when you have one guy sharing two gals, that makes it tricky. Smart gal that I am, I asked myself "who did snow white marry?" and "who did cinderella marry?" If you don't know, they both married Prince Charming! So, I had Prince Charming (Prince for short), Cinderella and Snow White. I then became "Fairy Tail Rabbitry"....keeping up with the theme, I named all my rabbits after fairy tales. When I say all I mean ALL. Every kit had a name, whether is was kept or sold. I eventually ran out of fairy tales and went on to Disney movies, muppet babies, etc.

My very best show rabbit I had nicknamed Junior as a wee little kit. He looked just like his father, Prince Charming. Junior eventually became a doe, but kept her name. Went on to win 4 legs and 2 BIS. I kept a doe out of Junior who I named Junior Junior because she looked just like her mother. Junior Junior eventually became JJ. I found out several years after I sold all my stock (when I got out of rabbits) to 4-Hers that the winners of the meatpen at the fair were all out of descendents of JJ. I was so proud.

When we got back into meat rabbits this summer, I let my kids name the rabbits. They named them after their favorite show, iCarly. We had Carly, Sam, and Freddy. I let my 3 year old name a doe, and I regretted it! He named her Marshmallow Sandwich. Where he got that from, I have no clue! If I would refer to her as Marshmallow, I would get in trouble. The day before I decided to keep a buck from a litter, Patrick Swayze died. I'm a Swayze fan, and since the buck would sure need to please the ladies, I named him Swayze! I sometime name them after appearances. I took one NZW who was so yellow/brown with hutch stain. He's now nice and clean and white, but his name stuck and he's still called "Dirty Boy". I have a blue otter Mini Lop. Couldn't come up with a name for him. Kept referring to him as the little boy and the blue boy, and so, now he's Little Boy Blue. I have a Mini Lop that is a charlie by color pattern, and her name is Charlie. Since I mostly have NZW, I've started to name them after white stuff. We already had a Marshmallow and we now have a Cotton and a Polar. I'll probably continue to name the NZWs like this until I run out of white stuff (could take a while!).

I name animals in the wierdest of ways - now I usually ask other people for ideas cause I'm at a point where I just don't care much ;)

we often go with a new life deserves a new name ... so the abused parrot Polly (a male) became Sully
a little himilayan became a hawaian princess Kala
Niobe got named after an eygptian god
Franklin got named after a friend's brother who lost his legs in the war ...

and often I just yell at my husband - this one needs a name ... :)

I find naming is one of the best parts of raising rabbits.

I have weird names for my rabbits but they're unique. Like Lunatic Fringe, Mon Dieu, Toccata, Elvis Ain't Dead etc.

Brody":awywgrgm said:
now I usually ask other people for ideas cause I'm at a point where I just don't care much ;)
I guess I didn't want to be bothered too much with picking names, which is why I decided to go with the hurricane names list.

I've named my Hymilan Xena, Warrior Princess. Anyone remember what her sidekick's name was?

Hmmm...compared to XENA, Warrior Princess", Gabrielle just lackss ooomph. I'll have to keep thinking.

Some have names, some have numbers. Even some that have official names are called by there numbers! 30 and 94 were always known by there ear number (even though they had registered names) Generally my bucks have a name if they come from another breeder I just call that buck by the breeders last name. Home grown bucks have numbers unless you are "Monster" Monster has been tagged monster as he has the horrid habbit of spraying everyone! He just recently will be retired from a very short show career, he was shown 3 times has 3 BOS legs and will not show again. He has no table manners the judges loved him but could not get him to sit nice enough or long enough to take breed. He would never sit on a BIS table. He has a bladder the size of a water truck tank!

I have his sire 141 and had sold Monster to some kids for their fair market project. When he was 4 months old the kids called me and need to sell their rabbits so I bought him back (softy). I decided to keep him as a back up for his sire. None of my other bucks behave like this, so I wonder did the kids playing with him create this monster?

So somedays you get a number at my place and somedays its a name.............just depends on my mood!

Denise

DevonW":we0tw7d9 said:
I find naming is one of the best parts of raising rabbits.

I have weird names for my rabbits but they're unique. Like Lunatic Fringe, Mon Dieu, Toccata, Elvis Ain't Dead etc.

So, does that mean when you want to catch them, "you 'neek up on them"?

Sorry-- couldn't resist..... :mrgreen:

Aha! My babies are named! Black Sonya, Conan the Barbarian, and Xena, Warrior Princess. Live long and prosper!

Back