Name that colour!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaytonHillRabbits

Reaction score
Hi there, I just picked up this gorgeous buck today, and was wondering if you folks could ID the colour as I've never seen it before. He is a pedigreed Satin.

Attachments

• Marcus.jpg
    Marcus.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 629
I got him completely by chance and for free.. the girl had some kits I was going to pick up for work (since mine refuse to produce anymore, LOL), and she MADE me go look at this buck she was desperate to get rid of as she was moving and could only take one of her rabbits with her. He was supposed to be papered, but she didn't have them with her, and of COURSE she messaged last night saying that the previous owner finally came clean and told her she didn't have the papers for him and could not get them. No big deal though, he is absolutely stunning and I don't need papers for what I will use him for...

Unfortunately I do not think he's had the best life, he acts like a completely feral rabbit, he's badly scratches and ripped my arms to shreds just trying to transport and put him from cage to carrier to cage at home... but he will come around with proper handling I'm hoping. He also has a badly damaged ear, supposedly from a rabbit fight when he was younger.. I didn't really ask for details, so he's not going to any shows etc, but I am super happy with him, and hope he reproduces well and makes some pretty babies... I know next to nothing about the Satin breed, but he is TINY compared to my Hollands.. comparable to my Netherlands in size.. is that normal?

DaytonHillRabbits":3t7r1me9 said:
I know next to nothing about the Satin breed, but he is TINY compared to my Hollands.. comparable to my Netherlands in size.. is that normal?

He could be a mini satin, instead of a full-sized satin... but he's absolutely gorgeous, you're right! :oops:

He's probably a mini satin, then. Normal satins should be about new Zealand size (10-12 lbs), mini satins are closer to mini rex size.

Another things -mini satins are aggressive. I used to have a siamese mini satin, too and she was definitely a biter. My rabbit friends call them "mini satans." Even if they live a fine life, and are handled regularly, sometimes they still retain that aggressive attitude, it's just how many lines of the breed are. (the lines of satins used to create them were on the aggressive side - some breeders have tried to breed that out, but many mini satins are still evil)

He hasn't tried to bite yet, but he has a heck of a growl on him and is prone to blind panic when I'm trying to do anything with him.. he ran himself into the side of his shelter in a panic earlier, all I did was open the cage to feed... once I have hands on him he is fine but he isn't the same temperment that I'm used to.. I mainly raise Hollands so big difference there.. I'm hoping he calms down some.. I have the impression he wasn't handled much at all (the situation he came from worked with him some, but she said she doesn't spend much time our in her shed and specifically not with him because he's difficult), and she got him from someone who seemed to be warehousing rabbits and just pulling babies to sell, etc. He spent some time in an ex pen in my livingroom and came out of his shell enough to play and jump and have some spinach so I think there's hope... he's stopped growling so much now as well so .. there's that. It's funny you say about the mini satan's because I had joked to my hubby on the way home after showing him my bleeding arms " I think I'll call him Satan".. he said that would suit him. Haha..

Back