My Update

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryanmayo

Reaction score
Hello people I'm just give you my update on my first and my doe' s Kitts we have 5 healthy baby's. But I wasn't to sure if she was feeding them but I know for sure she is now as I've checked them every morning and they all have fat belly's and i can see the milk it's day 6 now. But I have a question when I check in the mornings the baby's are all over the nest separated in different parts of there nesting box is this normal I do put them all back together but they seem to move on there own?

Sometimes they do that when it gets hot. As long as they're eating and it stays warm it should be fine. If you have a cold night out, or one seems unfed, try fluffing up the sides of the nest so they have a harder time to get out of it. They're 6 days old already, pretty soon they should be opening their eyes and be able to figure out this whole movement thing better.

Oh ok well when I checked today there where all fed even the runt we have so she is looking after them and as I live in a hot county we won't have any cold nights here now we are in summer so when can they leave the nesting box ?

I like for them to stay in it until their eyes open. Once they are regularly escaping the box (which to me happens about when they open their eyes) I put the box on its side so they can choose to go in and out as they wish. Then I remove the box about 3 weeks. I do this earlier then some, but I live in a desert, so getting cold isn't a big worry for me.

I have nesting cages, not nest box myself. It's a 2 room cage, one is on wire and the nesting area has 2 angled planks leaving small cracks for pee and poo to fall out. This way they stay clean a rly long time so my babies get to stay in those cages for 3 weeks with their mom. I move em out only when I need to rotate for the next does to kindle and even then my other cages all have nests made similarly with angled roof so they can reach the hay rack that's over em. So my rabbits always have a place to hide and feel safe if they want to. Point is, you can leave the nest as long as you want as long as it's clean, but if it get's dirty 2 to 3 weeks would be the right time to take it out.

Latest posts

Back