My smoked rabbit ended up "mushy". How do I Fix?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alforddm

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I wasn't sure this was the right place to ask this but anyway...I smoked some rabbit. This was my first time to attempt this. I had brined them for several days before hand (also a first) and smoked them with bacon for 2 hrs. They were "mushy". Did I just cook them to long? Was the combination of brining and then smoking for 2 hrs to much? I've never had meat turn mushy after smoking but I don't normally brine things.

What did I do wrong? I was really looking forward to loving this...

They were 10 weeks. <br /><br /> __________ Sat May 23, 2015 6:03 pm __________ <br /><br /> I think I'm going to pull whatever we don't eat tonight (probably won't be much lol) and try the white rabbit enchiladas.

I know this is a bit old but...I recently put some older rabbits in camp Kenmore and thought why not smoke one. As we are coming to the end of Chile season and I'm tired of roasting and freezing them I thought "why not".

Took one whole rabbit and stuffed it with Anaheim Chile's. Sewed it shut, seasoned with Thyme, Rosemary, salt and pepper. Popped it in the smoker with apple wood for 3 hours at 250* (f). Belly up if you please. ;) At that point I took it and place it in a tin turkey pan (French Lops are big) on a bed of sliced onion. Sliced up 4 Limes and covered the rabbit. Poured in a beer and covered with foil. Back in the smoker for 3 more hours to finish off. That made a great smoked rabbit but, now I'm out of fresh peppers. :cry:

I tried smoking a yr old buck that I culled. I should have smoked him longer or brined him. :lol: He was still tough after two hr of smoking. So, I def think that the combination of brining and slow cook smoking was just too much for tender young rabbits.

That sound really good homer. I'll have to remember that technique for the next time I smoke one.

Latest posts

Back