My rabbittry(sort of)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oscar

Reaction score
So witching the next year I'm hopping to start my rabbitry. I have looked at cages from Bass and am planning on getting some of those cages.(18*18 for bucks, 18*24 for does.) I have been working on building a shelf for the cages of my rabbits. All I need to build now is my grow out/ weaning pen. Any recommendations on dimensions? I might just buy a round water traffic and use that. How many rabbits should I start with? How many doe cages should I get, planning on getting 2 buck cages.

What kind of rabbits are you wanting to raise? Breed-wise.

How big is the space for your rabbitry? Are you looking at attackable cages or planning on singles?

Are you planning to breed only one doe at a time?

I read somewhere that your going to need 7 growout cages for every 10 does in a high production facility. This is for fryers and those that are being kept for replacement stock. If your breeding schedule isn't as fast paced, you won't need as many growout cages.

I have most of my garden and a little space elsewhere but was hoping to have it all together. Except the quarantine cages. I would have attachable cages so I didn't have all these random cages falling everywhere. I wanted to start with Hollands and then add another breed maybe. I will breed at least two does with each other for fostering reasons. I won't have 10 does. Could I put does from different litters in the same grow out cage? Like if I had 2 does in one litter and 3 or 4 does in the other litter? Could I do that with bucks too? What dimensions are best for a grow out pen?

Unless your rabbits are the size of mice, 18x18 or 18x24 is NOT ok. The general rule of thumb is 3 hops long, so at least 40 inches long. My cages are 50x20, and they go in a 120x120 run every day. It doesn't matter whether they are for pets, meat or fur, rabbits need space to stretch their legs. Not giving them that right is inhumane.

I think Oscar was asking for opinions on grow out pen sizes and how many rabbits to start out with. Not what people think inhumane! I'm sure If a rabbit could talk 4'2" isn't exactly much distance to start hoping around :? Now I'm not saying bigger isn't better but bigger cages cost more take up more space and make it harder depending where the door is located to catch a rabbit. So if your rabbit has room to move around a bit has plenty of food, water, and shelter they should be fine. So Oscar my opinion would be to start with a few rabbits you can always get more if desired. My does cages are 18"x40"x18" tall. With nest boxes mounted on the outside. My grow out pens are 5.5'x2'x2' they work ok for 8 or so grow outs. And I wouldn't change anything!

Cookie & Co.":csdv55lw said:
Unless your rabbits are the size of mice, 18x18 or 18x24 is NOT ok. The general rule of thumb is 3 hops long, so at least 40 inches long. My cages are 50x20, and they go in a 120x120 run every day. It doesn't matter whether they are for pets, meat or fur, rabbits need space to stretch their legs. Not giving them that right is inhumane.

I've heard of a number of folks having great success with 36"x48" cages, and some even with 30"x36"... while I'm of the opinion that more space is always better, I don't think that it's entirely unmanageable to keep healthy rabbits in smaller cages (with enough room for them to at least stretch and hop a little). If the cage is on the small side for the rabbit though, regular time outside their cages would probably be necessary. I don't know how big Hollands get, too be honest, and 18"x18" does seem a little small, but maybe it's not entirely unheard of or doable?

@Oscar, are you planning on keeping the does or bucks together only as they're growing up or did you mean to ask if you could keep them together (or in pairs, etc.) indefinitely? I think it would be pretty hit-or-miss trying to keep does or bucks together after a certain amount of time, because a lot of bunnies will eventually become territorial and one doe may bully (or seriously hurt) the other, and the same goes for bucks. But while they're still little it should be fine, from what I've seen on the forum. Best of luck!

You can also make your cage 5 feet tall with 2 or 3 shelves. They do enjoy jumping up and down and also being alone on a shelf.

I keep mine together till they start fighting.

I would suggest starting with fewer rabbits unless you have a guaranteed market for them.

My hutches are tall (30 inches). I have a jump shelf for exercise. I have one emergency hutch (in case I have a rabbit that needs to be separated). That hutch is 18 inches tall. I have seen over and over again that rabbits are happier and grow faster in taller hutches. If you can go with bigger or taller hutches, it will be worth it. If not, well.... people do it with success all the time.

Nymphadora":2b26dzxf said:
I've heard of a number of folks having great success with 36"x48" cages, and some even with 30"x36"... while I'm of the opinion that more space is always better, I don't think that it's entirely unmanageable to keep healthy rabbits in smaller cages (with enough room for them to at least stretch and hop a little). If the cage is on the small side for the rabbit though, regular time outside their cages would probably be necessary. I don't know how big Hollands get, too be honest, and 18"x18" does seem a little small, but maybe it's not entirely unheard of or doable?

I definitely agree, smaller cages are more practical for the breeder and as long as they are a reasonable size and the bunnies have time to stretch their legs at least 3 times a week they'll be happy. Like I mentioned before, I put my bunnies in 10 feet by ten feet cages (3m^2, pretty sure that's 10 feet ^2) everyday and they seem very happy and healthy even though their night cages aren't as large as I would like (except the does with litters who get 4mx2m cages). I also have an inside bunny who has free range of the house and lifestyle block via a cat door, and her behaviour is very similar to my confined bunnies so I know they aren't too cramped, however I wouldn't go any smaller than my current cages. 18x18 is just so tiny, and I'm going to guess they aren't going to get any exercise time. Even if they were free range during the day, 18x18 is so cruel. These are creatures that are biologically wired to run, dig and play, they evolved to burn fats and sugars slowly as obesity and all it's side effects are unheard of in wild rabbits, and as they were always running and hiding they needed to conserve energy. This means that a whole array of health problems will crop up when they can't exercise, never mind the boredom and depression that comes with a sheer lack of mental stimuli. Oh and I think hollands weigh between 2 and 4 pounds. And your image is freaking adorable, personally I always pictured cashmeres as Hufflepuff because they are so sweet, loyal and not the sharpest of bunnies

Back