Register

My rabbit web (:

Post your favourite links to useful rabbit websites here.
1 year of membership
User avatar
Posts: 365
Joined: October 23, 2015
Location: Washington
United States of America Female
Thanks: 223
Thanked: 33 in 30 posts
BunnyBucks: 2,068.00

My rabbit web (:

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Petlover500 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:54 pm


My rabbit web: http://abby7flores.wix.com/daintyndrabbitry

Any suggestions are welcome! :lilbunny:
I am very new at this, so feel free to throw in your 2 cents of what you think is correct (:

-Pl
Last edited by Petlover500 on Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://happyheartedanimalrescue.weebly.com/

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 7258
Joined: December 26, 2009
Location: near London, Ontario
Canada Female
Thanks: 42
Thanked: 709 in 618 posts
BunnyBucks: 32,836.00

Re: My rabbit web (:

Post Number:#2  Unread postby ladysown » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:06 pm


are those rabbits pictured your rabbits?

If so, they don't appear to be netherland dwarf. It's generally best if you are selling a particular breed of rabbit to use pictures that

1. are your own
2. that show case YOUR rabbits You want people see what your bunnies are like and what they might turn out to be like. :)

your list of requirements would completely turn me off wanting to buy a rabbit from you.
I understand your heart, but it's like you are saying YOUR way is the only way to keep a rabbit when there are lots of ways of keeping a hale and hearty rabbit. :)

It will weed out the fly by nighters though.... and THAT's a good thing. :)

I will STRONGLY caution you NOT to stud out your buck unless he's a spare rabbit used ONLY for breeding with visitors. You don't know what hidden diseases the doe might be carrying or that HE might carry to those does. It's generally NOT a safe set up. And any rabbit you do stud out should be isolated from your other rabbits for a solid month thereafter.


Overall your website seems decently designed and carefully written. :)
ladysown

http://athomepets.weebly.com/
Primary Blog : http://athomepets.weebly.com/at-home-pets-blog.html
Old Blog: blogs/athomepets/

The following user would like to thank ladysown for this post
Easy Ears, Petlover500, Ramjet

1 year of membership
User avatar
Posts: 365
Joined: October 23, 2015
Location: Washington
United States of America Female
Thanks: 223
Thanked: 33 in 30 posts
BunnyBucks: 2,068.00

Re: My rabbit web (:

Post Number:#3  Unread postby Petlover500 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:12 pm


ladysown wrote:are those rabbits pictured your rabbits?

If so, they don't appear to be netherland dwarf. It's generally best if you are selling a particular breed of rabbit to use pictures that

1. are your own
2. that show case YOUR rabbits You want people see what your bunnies are like and what they might turn out to be like. :)

your list of requirements would completely turn me off wanting to buy a rabbit from you.
I understand your heart, but it's like you are saying YOUR way is the only way to keep a rabbit when there are lots of ways of keeping a hale and hearty rabbit. :)

It will weed out the fly by nighters though.... and THAT's a good thing. :)

I will STRONGLY caution you NOT to stud out your buck unless he's a spare rabbit used ONLY for breeding with visitors. You don't know what hidden diseases the doe might be carrying or that HE might carry to those does. It's generally NOT a safe set up. And any rabbit you do stud out should be isolated from your other rabbits for a solid month thereafter.


Overall your website seems decently designed and carefully written. :)


They are my rabbits, and no they arent netherlands (: They came from my mix doe who was pregnant when I adopted her (:
And yeah, I know that some people think that way, but thats the way I believe is right and quite a few people haven't been afraid to meet my requirments :p

Ok, thanks! I am not for sure on what i'm going to do yet when I get a buck... but maybe your right- maybe studding isnt a great idea..

thanks for your reply!!
http://happyheartedanimalrescue.weebly.com/

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Posts: 1021
Joined: August 27, 2013
Location: Texas
United States of America Male
Thanks: 125
Thanked: 191 in 159 posts
BunnyBucks: 5,170.00

Re: My rabbit web (:

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Ramjet » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:32 am


Petlover500 wrote:
They are my rabbits, and no they arent netherlands (: They came from my mix doe who was pregnant when I adopted her (:
And yeah, I know that some people think that way, but thats the way I believe is right and quite a few people haven't been afraid to meet my requirments :p

Ok, thanks! I am not for sure on what i'm going to do yet when I get a buck... but maybe your right- maybe studding isnt a great idea..

thanks for your reply!!


Studding is a horrible idea. Most of us quarantine any rabbit for at least 30 days before we let it near our herds. There is just too much potential for total disaster.

carrot chunks, dandelions + dandelion leaves, kale, small pieces of banana, strawberry, apple, and green/red/yellow/orange bell peppers.


All that stuff is "safe" for rabbit consumption but .... a rabbit salad 2-3 times a week probably isn't a good idea. They might love those items but they should be very limited in supply , occasional treats or you'll have rabbits with gastric problems.

Also most vets have no clue how to treat rabbits ...

ladysown wrote:your list of requirements would completely turn me off wanting to buy a rabbit from you.
I understand your heart, but it's like you are saying YOUR way is the only way to keep a rabbit when there are lots of ways of keeping a hale and hearty rabbit. :)




Yeah , me too .... I do many things contrary that list of requirements.
Your way is not the only way to skin a cat , neither is mine.

Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 6008
Joined: October 6, 2013
Location: northwest PA
United States of America
Thanks: 1496
Thanked: 1483 in 1234 posts
BunnyBucks: 30,917.00

Re: My rabbit web (:

Post Number:#5  Unread postby Zass » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:14 am


Excellent photography, and your buns seem to be very healthy and well cared for. :)

Is this your first litter of kits?

Since you are only selling rabbits as pets and not as brood stock, I do not see anything wrong with the list of requirements.

The cash for the vet thing sounds a bit odd to me though, since I'm aware that you have a very sick kit right now, and I have seen nothing posted about you taking it to the vet. :?

Like Ramjet, I doubt that most veterinarians would be of much use when it comes to rabbits, especially a kit with enteritis.

So urging people to have money for one just seems sort of arbitrary.

The following user would like to thank Zass for this post
Petlover500

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 2033
Joined: August 1, 2010
Location: upstate New York
Thanks: 1
Thanked: 309 in 256 posts
BunnyBucks: 8,390.00

Re: My rabbit web (:

Post Number:#6  Unread postby ottersatin » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:18 am


Petlover?
I am sorry but that is a misnomer.
What you espouse is NOT altruistic.
I find that a LOT of your information is incorrect!
From where did you glean your information?
I believe you should , read more properly informational books
on the subject, and perhaps wait until you have more self experience
with raising and properly caring for the animal [Rabbits] that you
are so striving to create. Please do yourself and anyone else you
will be dealing with by having a more open mind to the words
of more experienced Rabbit Breeders/Raisers to the abundance of
proper information which is practically right at your doorstep.
I am sorry if I sound disgruntled, but, I AM.
Ottersatin. :oldtimer:
Please visit my website: http://crescentvalley.webs.com/
Sign Guest book so I know you stopped by.
Thank you Dennis.

The following user would like to thank ottersatin for this post
Ramjet

2 years of membership2 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 675
Joined: September 20, 2014
Location: Washington State
United States of America Female
Thanks: 225
Thanked: 117 in 102 posts
BunnyBucks: 3,970.00

Re: My rabbit web (:

Post Number:#7  Unread postby Easy Ears » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:30 am


ottersatin wrote:Petlover?
I am sorry but that is a misnomer.
What you espouse is NOT altruistic.
I find that a LOT of your information is incorrect!
From where did you glean your information?
I believe you should , read more properly informational books
on the subject, and perhaps wait until you have more self experience
with raising and properly caring for the animal [Rabbits] that you
are so striving to create. Please do yourself and anyone else you
will be dealing with by having a more open mind to the words
of more experienced Rabbit Breeders/Raisers to the abundance of
proper information which is practically right at your doorstep.
I am sorry if I sound disgruntled, but, I AM.
Ottersatin. :oldtimer:


From what I know of PL, she has gotten most of her sources online. Sadly, you have to take almost every website regarding rabbit information you come across with a grain of salt, because there can be a lot of falsehood in them.
Ottersatin, I believe it would be more helpful to Petlover if you were to point out her incorrect information, and maybe steer her in the right direction with some suggestions of good sources.

My favorite rabbit sources would have to be Rise and Shine Rabbitry, BTB, and Nature Trail. (and RabbitTalk of course. ;) )


Studding is a horrible idea. Most of us quarantine any rabbit for at least 30 days before we let it near our herds. There is just too much potential for total disaster.


This is why I don't stud my bucks out. ;)

I understand your heart, but it's like you are saying YOUR way is the only way to keep a rabbit when there are lots of ways of keeping a hale and hearty rabbit. :)

It will weed out the fly by nighters though.... and THAT's a good thing.


The requirements are pretty straightforward and quite bold. :P But if you are getting people who aren't afraid to meet those requirements, than I don't see a problem with them. :) Just keep in mind (like the others said) everyone else is different, and different rabbitries have different ways of doing things. I know my rabbits sure aren't spoiled with greens daily! :oops: But you can also keep in mind that show breeders, pet breeders, and meat breeders will generally all have different set ups. Us pet breeders can afford more space for our buns, which not a lot of meat or show breeders can.
At Easy Ears Rabbitry I raise pedigree Holland lops and Netherland Dwarfs. As well as Dutch Dwarfs (A smaller breed of Dutch).
Website: http://easyearsrabbitry.jimdo.com/
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/easyearsrabbitry/

The following user would like to thank Easy Ears for this post
Petlover500

1 year of membership
User avatar
Posts: 365
Joined: October 23, 2015
Location: Washington
United States of America Female
Thanks: 223
Thanked: 33 in 30 posts
BunnyBucks: 2,068.00

Re: My rabbit web (:

Post Number:#8  Unread postby Petlover500 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:52 am


Thanks for the replies everyone (;

I know many of you don't like my list of requirements, but thats just what I decided to do (:
I don't believe in 24in x 24in cages- thats just who I am I guess. Bigger is better!
I really do appreciate all of your guys' responses! It gives my an idea of how different people think.
The money for the vet is just what I recommend. What if your rabbit gets a gash? What if they get worms? What if you are not prepared? I think letting rabbits suffer is not ok, and that's why I try to be prepared 24/7 and why I want future rabbit owners to know what could happen :)
And I also think that "right" rabbit care and "wrong" rabbit care are a matter of opinion, on a certain level. :p

@ottersatin, yes, please do point out specifically to me what you find incorrect (:
:up:

__________ Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:43 am __________

Zass wrote:Excellent photography, and your buns seem to be very healthy and well cared for. :)

Is this your first litter of kits?

Since you are only selling rabbits as pets and not as brood stock, I do not see anything wrong with the list of requirements.

The cash for the vet thing sounds a bit odd to me though, since I'm aware that you have a very sick kit right now, and I have seen nothing posted about you taking it to the vet. :?

Like Ramjet, I doubt that most veterinarians would be of much use when it comes to rabbits, especially a kit with enteritis.

So urging people to have money for one just seems sort of arbitrary
.

I haven't taken my kit to the vet because like you said, vets seem to be able to do nothing with enteritis. :(
So I am doing all I can at home right now. :)
http://happyheartedanimalrescue.weebly.com/

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Posts: 1021
Joined: August 27, 2013
Location: Texas
United States of America Male
Thanks: 125
Thanked: 191 in 159 posts
BunnyBucks: 5,170.00

Re: My rabbit web (:

Post Number:#9  Unread postby Ramjet » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:32 pm


Petlover500 wrote:.
. What if your rabbit gets a gash? What if they get worms? What if you are not prepared? I think letting rabbits suffer is not ok, and that's why I try to be prepared 24/7 and why I want future rabbit owners to know what could happen :)


None of us want to see an animal suffer ... and we do our best to make sure that doesn't occur.

A sick rabbit is a ticking time bomb. One sick rabbit can affect the entire herd. Many things cant be "cured" just put in remission .... making the rabbit in question a carrier (why we quarantine). Rather than spend a bunch of $$$ at the vet to reach that likely outcome .... I'd rather cull ill or even potentially ill rabbits to ensure the health of the rest of the herd.

I also cull for behavioral issues .... rather than sell someone else a problem critter or have that rabbit pass on undesirable genetic or learned behavior. Cant send your problems to your customers.
Your way is not the only way to skin a cat , neither is mine.

The following user would like to thank Ramjet for this post
HansenHomestead

1 year of membership
User avatar
Posts: 365
Joined: October 23, 2015
Location: Washington
United States of America Female
Thanks: 223
Thanked: 33 in 30 posts
BunnyBucks: 2,068.00

Re: My rabbit web (:

Post Number:#10  Unread postby Petlover500 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:59 pm


I totally agree!
Sometimes culling is what you have to do.... although I really do not prefer it, like you said sometimes its whats best for your herd.
Although I do not cull for behavioral issues, as I believe with some patience and work, they can become sweet rabbits (:
http://happyheartedanimalrescue.weebly.com/

Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 573
Joined: February 15, 2014
Location: Austria
Austria
Thanks: 72
Thanked: 180 in 143 posts
BunnyBucks: 3,151.00

Re: My rabbit web (:

Post Number:#11  Unread postby Preitler » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:56 pm


Well, in my opinion sweet and docile behaviour is a bred in trait, nothing that's natural for rabbits - like special colours. I know what wild rabbits (had a litter from one wild buck) are like, and they sure are not pets. If bred indimiscratly such behaviour may resurface. Maybe not in one or two generations, but be sure to add behaviour to your list when chosing breeding stock.

If not selected for behaviour over some generations you may end up with stock like mine, they are fairly friendly (those I kept, others were skittish, aggressive, etc.), but the Red Shrew doesn't want to be touched, the Gray drew blood most times I had to treat her eyes, and my Black Fury is a headstrong egomaniac, sometimes mellow like a lamb, at other times you wonder what just happend while you silently bleed to death :? , nah, not that bad, but she realy doesn't like to be picked up.

It's ok for me, they are not pets. But you are right - with some patience and work I get along with my menagerie. Sometimes an extra friendly kit would pop up - those I sold as pets (although today I know they never even came close to real pet rabbit breeds)
A good day ain't got no rain, a bad day is when I lie in bed and think of things that might have been...

The following user would like to thank Preitler for this post
Petlover500, Zass

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Posts: 1021
Joined: August 27, 2013
Location: Texas
United States of America Male
Thanks: 125
Thanked: 191 in 159 posts
BunnyBucks: 5,170.00

Re: My rabbit web (:

Post Number:#12  Unread postby Ramjet » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:16 pm


Preitler wrote:Well, in my opinion sweet and docile behaviour is a bred in trait, nothing that's natural for rabbits - like special colours. I know what wild rabbits (had a litter from one wild buck) are like, and they sure are not pets. If bred indimiscratly such behaviour may resurface. Maybe not in one or two generations, but be sure to add behaviour to your list when chosing breeding stock.

If not selected for behaviour over some generations you may end up with stock like mine, they are fairly friendly (those I kept, others were skittish, aggressive, etc.), but the Red Shrew doesn't want to be touched, the Gray drew blood most times I had to treat her eyes, and my Black Fury is a headstrong egomaniac, sometimes mellow like a lamb, at other times you wonder what just happend while you silently bleed to death :? , nah, not that bad, but she realy doesn't like to be picked up.

It's ok for me, they are not pets. But you are right - with some patience and work I get along with my menagerie. Sometimes an extra friendly kit would pop up - those I sold as pets (although today I know they never even came close to real pet rabbit breeds)


Yep .... and breeding for pets their behavior should be a top priority unless of course you are willing to send animals to pet homes with potential behavioral issues. That's not very responsible or ethical ....

We have to think of rabbits in terms of any other animal we have domesticated and realize that they are a prey animal and that these behaviors are for the most part instinctive or genetic in origin.

I don't tolerate cage aggressiveness or biting ....
Your way is not the only way to skin a cat , neither is mine.

The following user would like to thank Ramjet for this post
Petlover500, Zass

1 year of membership
User avatar
Posts: 365
Joined: October 23, 2015
Location: Washington
United States of America Female
Thanks: 223
Thanked: 33 in 30 posts
BunnyBucks: 2,068.00

Re: My rabbit web (:

Post Number:#13  Unread postby Petlover500 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:45 pm


I agree with both of you.

If any of my rabbits are aggressive, I correct it immediately.
None of my kits have shown any signs of aggression yet, and are getting handled daily.
They really do love to be held and pet, lol!
http://happyheartedanimalrescue.weebly.com/

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 2033
Joined: August 1, 2010
Location: upstate New York
Thanks: 1
Thanked: 309 in 256 posts
BunnyBucks: 8,390.00

Re: My rabbit web (:

Post Number:#14  Unread postby ottersatin » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:02 pm


I believe it would be more helpful to Petlover if you were to point out her incorrect information, and maybe steer her in the right direction with some suggestions of good sources.

Since I stand corrected,
I feel I must state my opinion as to where I feel you would find
the best information on the care and feeding of Rabbits.
Without a doubt the very best book on the subject is:
Rabbit Production by McNitt, Lukefahr, Patton and Cheeke.
Another great book is: Raising Rabbits the Modern Way By Bob Bennett
There are many others, but everything you read or hear about Rabbits
on the internet, must be taken with a grain of salt.
After all, everything you hear is just another persons opinion.
You know what they say about opinions: They are like, "Belly Buttons,
everybody has one! But, some opinions are often worth taking advantage of!
Sorry if I came on too sharply in my previous post, shame on me
sometimes the elderly get a bit CRANKY! :D
Ottersatin :oldtimer:
Please visit my website: http://crescentvalley.webs.com/
Sign Guest book so I know you stopped by.
Thank you Dennis.

The following user would like to thank ottersatin for this post
EnglishSpot, Petlover500

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 908
Joined: November 12, 2012
Location: Glenville, West Virginia
United States of America Female
Thanks: 19
Thanked: 174 in 150 posts
BunnyBucks: 4,717.00

Re: My rabbit web (:

Post Number:#15  Unread postby Prisma » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:43 pm


I honestly don't see how any are reserved. Smaller cages and wire are not as bad as painted. To me, your site and operation screams rescue posing as breeder. People will not appreciate false information, you could even be held legally liable if some one pushed it. If is treat my rabbits by your methods, they'd die in less than 24 hrs.

Oh and one more thing, on phone so can't do as great detail as would like until home. Just because they agree don't mean will. Remove the remark about netherlands or put in mix, this is a big no no right up front.
Rabbitry is changing in 2016.

Glenville, West Virginia

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests