Register

My rabbit has a large wound how should i treat?

Diagnosing and treating rabbit ailments. *Caution! These threads may contain graphic content.*
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 2,300.00

Re: My rabbit has a large wound how should i treat?

Post Number:#16  Unread postby Tegan » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:57 am

OneAcreFarm wrote:Better to use diluted betadine or veterycin or even just soap and water for an injury like this. Hydrogen Peroxide will kill healthy tissue, it is really only good for cleaning out really dirty pussy wounds initially.

Off topic, but I had to read that twice! :lol:

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 31,400.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby OneAcreFarm » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:46 pm

cowgirl9768 wrote:
starshotbandit wrote:do you smoke? does any one have access to your hutches that does smoke and would want to hurt you or your bunns? Better question is, can a wild animal get to my cage? Or can another bunny reach through the wire and bite him? you can go crazy with questions.

Nope I don't smoke.... No one with access to my bins do. Wild animals couldn't and I don't have any buns near him. We do belive it was his heating lamp.... Be careful with yours if you have a black bunny!

But the hair is not singed...if it was the lamp, I would expect the hair to be burnt too.... How are his nails? Maybe he scratched himself really badly?

http://www.oneacrefarmrabbits.com
~A micro-attempt at self-sufficiency~

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 1,538.00

Post Number:#18  Unread postby cowgirl9768 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:05 pm

He is healing up very well thanks for all the help!
http://rainbowskiesrabbitry.weebly.com/

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 11,295.00

Post Number:#19  Unread postby ZRabbits » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:41 am

So thrilled to hear he's doing so well.

Karen

BunnyBucks: 1,538.00

Post Number:#20  Unread postby cowgirl9768 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:35 pm

OneAcreFarm wrote:
cowgirl9768 wrote:
starshotbandit wrote:do you smoke? does any one have access to your hutches that does smoke and would want to hurt you or your bunns? Better question is, can a wild animal get to my cage? Or can another bunny reach through the wire and bite him? you can go crazy with questions.

Nope I don't smoke.... No one with access to my bins do. Wild animals couldn't and I don't have any buns near him. We do belive it was his heating lamp.... Be careful with yours if you have a black bunny!

But the hair is not singed...if it was the lamp, I would expect the hair to be burnt too.... How are his nails? Maybe he scratched himself really badly?

The hair was singed. Can't see it well in the pic but it was.
http://rainbowskiesrabbitry.weebly.com/

BunnyBucks: 5.00

Re: My rabbit has a large wound can I use molasses on and ar

Post Number:#21  Unread postby johndeergrl1920 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:51 pm

: My rabbit has a large wound can I use molasses on and around it it seem to be to moist to close and I hard u can use molasses cuz its height in sugar and it will help it heal and help dry it out yes or no

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Austria
BunnyBucks: 3,779.00

Post Number:#22  Unread postby Preitler » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:28 am

Hi, I don't know much about that, but there is a more recent thread that might help you:

warning-graphic-worst-wound-on-my-own-rabbits-yet-t32509.html
"Sometimes I stand by the door and look into the darkness, then I am reminded how dearly I cherish my boredom, and what a precious commodity is so much misery"

Site Admin
8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 59,448.00

Post Number:#23  Unread postby MaggieJ » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:55 pm

More detail (location of wound, how it happened, size, depth etc. and maybe a picture) would make it easier to suggest a treatment. I've heard of using honey, which has antimicrobial properties, but I don't know if molasses would work the same way. In either case, you do not want the rabbit to be able to lick off too much of anything sweet as it may cause diarrhea.

Previous