My pretty does..colors? Lots of pics

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipoGSD

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
So a while back i made a few posts about the colors of some of my does. Im just curious as to their colors now that they are older. If you need a memory refresher here are the links.
what-colors-are-these-2-kits-t29852.html

is-this-a-chocolate-t29999.html

On the left is Nibbler, the right is Sylvia. ( Nibs was the biggest forever but now Sylvia is bigger than her!)

Nibbler

Sylvia, notice the brown on the middle of her back

And this is Twix on the left with her brother Tommy

Now.... the updated pics :)

Here's Nibbler

Here's Sylvia

Here's Twix

Just another pic, not sure if its helpful

And just a newer pic of Tommy :)

Anyway i cant figure out what color nibbler & sylvia are. Is Nibbler some kind of tipped steel or some kind of chinchilla?

Sylvia shed the brown out on her back. What color grey os she considered?

The pics of Twix, i was curious about the weird patches of different color brown on her. Is this related to shedding? Or maybe from living next to a buck and maybe hes spraying her? (She is no longer housed next to him) or maybe the sun is changing her fur? Or newly developed smut? I have no clue..

And Tommy.. he's an inside bunny and a sweetheart :)

So yeah.. just curious as to what everyone thinks about their colors now that they are older :)

Nibbler - silver tipped steel AKA steel chinchilla
Sylvia - broken chinchilla
Twix - broken chocolate and yes, the patches are likely shedding fur
Tommy - black tort

Thank you dood!! You always help me out :)

One last part to this thread lol ;)

For bucks i have;
Chubby Chestnut (huge broken chestnut)
Tommy
Thumper- a charlie mini rex tort
Chips- a black & white broken mini rex (mini rex's arw littermates)
Shadow- my sister in law has a self black (from me)

Which does would you pair up to the bucks? For more colors and markings. I'd like to produce, different colors in the blues.. more chocolates.. I'd really like to somehow produce tris, harlies, magpies and even otters. But I dont know if it's possible or if I would need to add new genetics.

all of the bunnies ive produced, the 2 mini rexs have been the fathers so they all should be carriers for the rex fur.. correct?

So im assuming if the does were bred back to their dads they would throw about 50/50 rex fur & normal fur

breeding sibs & half sibs I *might* get one or 2 rex furred.. correct?

Dood.. dont shoot me cuz of all my questions :)

If you want more blues and chocolates you'll have to breed back to blue or chocolate parents or secret carriers of the genes and who produced blue or chocolate kits

You cannot produce tri/harli/magpie or otter unless the genes are already there and it doesn't look like your rabbits are secret carriers of these

Correct, all kits with a Rex parent will carry the gene and if bred to a rex they should produce 50% Rex kits, hovever they probably won't be show quaility Rex coats as the many modifiers that limit guard hairs or increase density won't necessarily be inherited as well

Pleas post a picture of the Rex that fathered the silver tipped steel and chinchilla as statistically it is unlikely either a black or black tort could have produced them and I suspect the sire is a self chinchilla or a particularly dark steel chin

Momma is ruby

Dad is chips (the more recent pics of him are on my old phone. I took these off of my instagram)

__________ Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:09 pm __________

Chips

This is Chips brother, Thumper. Hes my daughters bunny. Not sure if his pics will help or not?

<br /><br /> __________ Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:17 pm __________ <br /><br /> Up until this current breeding (due this week) those 2 mini rex bucks were all we had to use for breeding. Our firsr breedings we used Thumper (which helped prove hes a charlie) second time we used Chips. Which was the breeding we got Nibbler & Sylvia from. (Steel & chin does in question)

We now have a nice big buck thats mature enough for breeding, my Chubby Chestnut. He is such a sweet big ham but sadly he doesnt love me like he used to, now he just wants to spray everywhere & mark everything lol

It's possible Chips is a black and only carries chin or himilayan or REW and this litter of 2 chinchilla was just a fluke but I'm thinking self chin is a distinct possibility :)

Hi dood, if he was a chin wouldnt i see that on his fur? i honestly only see jet black, we always comment on how his black is so black lol tho I've never looked at the hair shaft. Would it help if i took a close up pic of his fur separated? <br /><br /> __________ Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:04 am __________ <br /><br /> Dood i was extremly confused as to how you "seen" self chin with Chips. I thought you were seeing something in his black fur that i just couldnt see lol. All i knew is i was sure i was seeing white & black fur. So I googled self chin. And sure enough it makes sense now. I had no clue a black rabbit could be a chin! (Rabbit genetics are so complicated. lol)

Chips and Ruby have never produced a Chestnut. His brother thumper with ruby however has. So you nailed it!! :) Your knowledge truly amazes me!!!!!!!!

The site i read was this one
http://rabbitsmarties.com/2011/07/rabbi ... explained/

So chips.. is a black & white broken self chin.. is that worded correctly?

Now as for thumper. I cant remember off hand who said it but someone said he might be harlequinized. If i breed him back to a daughter, it still wouldn't prove or disprove it because theres no telling if the daughter would carry a harli gene correct? Or are their visual markers for that?

I really want to produce harlies. Assuming thumper carries the gene, If i add a harlequin doe. I should be able to produce them in the first breeding correct? I found a breeder about 40 mins away that will have more harlies next breeding :)

He is a "Broken self chinchilla" which can be shown with true blacks, but often their eye colour is off so they loose points against them. It is more important from a selling point as someone who wants a black for breeding purposes may not be happy when they start getting unexpected colours in their litters

Harlequin is more dominant than non-extension (the gene that makes reds/oranges/fawns, torts and a few others) so I would breed Thumper to a tort daughter, if he is harlequized then statistically 50% of the offspring should be as well.

A common problem I've seen with the harli gene is that getting a nice mixture of black and orange can be tricky and Ive seen many harlequins that look like fawns and only have a tiny spot of black and they really are not useful in a harequin or tri (AKA broken harlequin) breeding program and bringing in a better marked animal would be best

Back