My piggies

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
The boy likes to watch the pigs. He never wants to hold them. He'll sit and watch them for 15-30 minutes at a stretch. They eat most anything he gives them to munch on.

Eric... came from a show home. Nicest boar I've ever had. We got him free from a fellow who was closing down his show herd.

SANY1463.jpg

Rainbow - Justin's first piggie. She's a very nice sow. has 2-3 pups per litter, raises them well. She's still the lad's favourite pig.

April142010116.jpg

Spotty - As soon as the lad saw her, he wanted her. From the very moment she was born, so.. we kept her. :) She's small and skittish but otherwise a good pig. Her 2 pups per litter are usually crested and always skittish.

royalvacation09andpiggies043.jpg

Why do I raise piggies?
Primo Reason: a lad who loves to sit and watch them
2. I like them talking to me :)
3. they are just interesting critters. People often say they are not as smart as rabbits, but I find that they are smarter when it comes to what is good, and what is not good to eat.

Why do piggies drive me nuts?

They will up and die for no reason! Not a good thing when you have a piggie loving boy child.

Oh.. and Spotty when she pups will lose hair on her back end for a while. Why? I have no clue. It always grows back and isn't contagious but looks unappealing. If anyone knows, I'd be delighted to learn what to do for her.

I have cavies for a while - not a huge fan. Honestly, I'd rather (and do) have rats.

The most important thing with cavies is to give them extra vit c. No matter how good of a food you give and how many veggies, I would still give extra c. Tried the whole "natural" way with just the formulated cavy feed and fresh veggies - lost 3 to scurvy. I have found cavies more sensative then rabbits and have not had good luck with them in the barn. Have never had a problem when they stayed inside. Had a better luck with Americans, Abys and mixed breeds. Will NEVER have a long hair breed again.

Cute piggies though =)

Your pigs are cute! I love that they are called boars & sows :lol:

What do you do with the babies...er...piglets?

I either sell them privately, sell them to a pet store, or... they go for reptile food. Though I do have one dog person who will take them as well.

surprise surprise

rainbow thoroughly outdid herself... SIX!!!

yes, count 'em.. six pups! (she normally has 3-4). Two black and white, one tri, one black and tan, and two tan with white snips/spots. So far looks like two girls and four boys. BUMMER That. Girls are easier to sell and easier to maintain long term.

I went out to do bunnies and found piggies on my lawn. They are so small they fit through the openings of their habitat! I did some quick renovating and hope that it holds up to baby pigs.

Back