My newest 12 hole cage

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvabunny

Reaction score
With all these bunnies coming on, and a new, nearly empty barn, it was time to make some cages. Normally I make 3 stackers, but I need grow-out cages which didn't have to be quite as large. This was my first attempt, and it turned out pretty good.

The cages are 24x24 and 14" high. The space in between cages is 4" to allow for pans. The cages are stacked 4 high and 3 wide. The separating wire between the cages is bottom wire turned sideways, so not much change of ears, noses or toenails being mauled by neighbors.

Since ears are a main judging point on English lops, it's important that I get them separated early, to prevent toenail punctures and rips, way before the bucks ever begin to start fighting with each other. These cages should be good until I decide if these grow-outs will be shown, kept as breeders, or sold.

What makes it doubly nice is that I've found I got another 2 rows of identical cages in the rabbitry buyout I did earlier in the year. I didn't know it when I started it, but it's going to work out well.

Still lots more to do, but I've got to get these cages hung first, and that wasn't a project I wanted to begin late on a Sunday evening. Here's the pics.
20140223_164802.jpg
20140223_164908.jpg
20140223_164820.jpg
20140223_164846.jpg

The 1x2 wire runs about 80.00 for a 100 ft roll. I still have enough left to finish a second set of cages, using the used cages I purchased, I think.

The bottom wire was leftovers I had from previous cage builds. My sister and I go in together to buy it. I think its about 120.00 per 100 ft roll, so about 60.00 for me. I haven't even started my 50 ft yet.

I've never really sat down to figure exactly how much building a cage costs me. I know it's less than buying one outright, plus I get it exactly the way I want it, plus I really enjoy doing it.

IF I used all of the wire I purchased, it would total about 140.00 and I got 12 holes out of it, so it would equal just over 11.50 per hole for brand new cages, but I DIDN'T use all the wire I purchased, so it was considerably less than that on this build. When I build 3 hole stackers, I use more 1x2 wire, and can normally only get about 2 of them finished with it.

Unfortunately, I don't make my own pans. I have a guy who will make metal pans for me, to my specs, for about 13.00 per pan. It's a little less if I need smaller ones, but he buys the metal and makes it the correct size, so a win-win for me.

For these cages, however, I already have the pans. Stumbled across ones that fit my stacker cages at an auction. I got around 19 pans for about 60.00 and they've just been laying around waiting to be used.

Since my stackers are 2x3, and these cages are 2x6, I intend to just slide 2 pans under them. That way, the break in pans will be in the middle of the middle cage, so no corner pee-ers will miss the pan or hit the crack in the center.

Unfortunately, I will have to buy my j-feeders. The used cages I bought all came with feeders, but I don't have any for these. I've purchased the pet crocks from Dollar Tree for water bowls. Should be plenty for young rabbits. I've used them before, and they're tough enough.

I'll hit a show within the next month and get the door closers, guards, and card holders, then we should be good to go, just in time to wean those babies!

Great looking cages! Once I get a shed I am hoping to have my step dad build me some like this for our Lionheads.

WOW!! You've inspired me to realize… if my 5 holes aren't enough, I can fit four 24x30 grow out cages over the top of my two 48x30 Doe cages should the need arise. :p Great that you can do them yourself and save so much money!

I finally got the cages hung and complete. They are full of 12 inhabitants - all future show prospects! I bought the feeders from TSC. Not my first choice, but I couldn't find any others the day I needed them. The pans worked out perfectly and I had just enough. If I could have gotten 12 matching water bowls from the Dollar store, it would have made my OCD happier, but at least I've got matching rows! So far, the cages are working out exactly the way I wanted them to.

20140315_185906.jpg
20140315_185953.jpg
20140315_185930.jpg

I'm not sure what NIC stands for, but I've used them for all of my doors and overall, I love them.

There does seem to be a difference in the panels. I found out some come with much larger holes, like 2x2 or so.
I couldn't use those for doors, the bunnies kept sticking their heads out!

Also, some seem to come more "coated" than others. The bunnies enjoy chewing on these, much like coated wire. So far, none have gotten thru any of them, but it does seem that once the coating is gone, they rust quickly and I will probably end up replacing these sooner than later. It doesn't seem to hurt the bunnies to chew on them.

I ran into another great Craigslist deal last night, that will save me wire. Someone was advertising used cages the exact dimensions I made these, for a great price - only 8.00 per hole, and they came with feeders and urine guards. I had to make 2 trips to get them all, but it was worth the gas. Really, the only refab I'll have to do on them is adding a scrap piece of wire between the top of one and the bottom of the other to make them all 1 cage. This is easier to do than trying to hang 4 separate cages for me. Also, the dividing wires are just 1x2, so I'll remove those and add 1/2 x 1 sideways, to keep everyone from chewing on their neighbor. With this find, I'll be able to make one entire side of my barn as grow out cages.

If I remember correctly they were called neat idea cubes when they were first introduced hence NIC. I too have seen the larger holed ones. I avoid them and stick with the ones that have 9x9 holes. I seem some one time that had 1/2" holes but thrift store wanted too much for them.

Back