My new project! ( its guinea pigs!)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olafthebunny

Reaction score
Hey everyone!
So some cool news is....I am going to start a guinea pig breeding project!!! :D
We've had our two male guinea pigs ( Tyler and Josh) for about a year now. They used to belong to my younger sisters, but they soon lost interest, and passed them on to me. I've had a lot of fun caring for them and taming them- they've made a lot of progress!
For awhile now I've been trying to find an animal project to do, as my older sister ( LFB), started her rabbitry at my age. I was thinking about chickens, but its not something our family can do right now.
But then I had the idea of starting a guinea pig project, as we have the space and two pigs already!
the plan is to get a female piggy to start off with. In the future, I plan to keep a female pup or two to grow my herd.
We have a little shed/building thing beside our house that has been empty ever since we moved here five years ago. So I have decided to use it as my guinea pig room! I've cleaned it out and have been working on airing it out as it was a little musty. I moved a cage in there and have gotten it all prepared for my female piggy to move in!
I plan to get one this week, so I will keep you all posted!
I'm super excited and pumped about this project and can't wait to get it started!

When you take on animal breading projects, the most important questions is what is your purpose for breading? Are you interested in breading to sell as pets? Are you interested in showing the GPs in competition? There are a few users here with GP experience. My friend lets them breed freely in a shed then culls to increase herd hardiness.

Looking at the climate of South Africa the temps look singular to Texas. Maybe just a little cooler. During the winter you should have no problem as long as they stay dry and the wind is kept out. Hay makes good insulation. the more GPs the better for keeping warm.You might have problems with high summer temps.

I've just started a guine pig colony as well.

Because they absolutely must be bred before 6 months old and give birth by 8 months, or there can be severe birthing difficulties, my females have just been bred and a few others will be in a couple months but I'm looking forward to this new protect

I'll be breeding for meat, so show quality isn't a concern, and I can play around with colours. I love the pink eyed dilutes (called lutino in rabbits) I use to breed mice and gerbils in this colour and found a gorgeous champagne boar and hope at least one of my girls is a carrier ;)

Latest posts

Back