My New Colony!!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bandits Bunny Farm

Reaction score
We finally got the colony done!!!!! Ok, well, it's still a work in progress. 3/5 of my does are moved in, the other two are inseparable and one of them has the litter which I'm not moving in the colony for 2 more weeks, and my last buck I haven't moved in yet because the 2 does are in the hutch I'm going to put him in.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 2,675
They love it. Right now I have my disabled mini Rex doe and my mini lop mix does in there, and one of the mini lops likes to dig and she'll dig a super deep hole, and then her sister will go and fill it.

I actually hot glued a piece of old carpet to the slide so they can play on it. For food and water I took 2 5 gallon buckets and had my dad cut the bottoms off. One for food, one for water. The rest of the buckets I have as little tunnels for them

Looks great! One thing I love about my colony is going in and sitting for a while and watching them play around. Sometimes they try to chew my boots or my pants. I love seeing them run around and kick their back legs in the air. They just seem so happy and I feel a lot of relaxation while I"m out there.

Do they dig out? My colony has 24"x30" patio slabs on the floor so they cant dig out. Mine is also plywood with wire mesh lining the inside so they can't chew the walls. There are a couple of breaches in the wire so I have to fix that as soon as it's warm enough out that my hands don't freeze up.

Wire. My family has used colony plans for cali's for decades. They burry the wire and seed grass over it. They do it several weeks before they move the bunnies in though. They keep two pins, one that's growing grass, one that is being used. They keep them on a rotation. They very rarely have any problems with their colony in general, but like I said, it's a decades old operation. They've been doing it since the ancestors who were in the amish communities generations ago.

PinkPenguin":22fl540s said:
Wire. My family has used colony plans for cali's for decades. They burry the wire and seed grass over it. They do it several weeks before they move the bunnies in though. They keep two pins, one that's growing grass, one that is being used. They keep them on a rotation. They very rarely have any problems with their colony in general, but like I said, it's a decades old operation. They've been doing it since the ancestors who were in the amish communities generations ago.

I saw a picture of a pen where in one section they had laid landscape timbers down, about 10 inches apart and screwed down inch by half welded wire mesh to them. In essence it made a platform teh bunnies could get onto (only 4 inches high) but they COULD NOT get to the grass growing under the wire until it grows through. They can never get to teh roots so cant kill the grass and always have a fresh snack.

Havnt done it yet but its on my list. :lol: <br /><br /> __________ Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:29 pm __________ <br /><br />
Miss M":22fl540s said:
Makes me so jealous! :p I can't do this because of fire ants. Love it, though.

Have you heard of Wondercide? Its teh BEST THING I HAVE EVER DISCOVERED!!!

It both kills adn repels ants and yet is gentle enough to spray on myself to repel mosquitoes. It kills ticks and fleas and bedbugs and head lice too.

Cant say enough good things about it. :D

But the biggest thing I have lately learned about fire ants is that native ants will kill any new queens looking for a home so if you can help your native ants the fire ants will reduce.

So far I have boiled on fire ant mound but the native Big Head ants are strong in our area so Fire Ants have to work really hard to get a foot hold.

Latest posts

Back