my homeschooled kid

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I liked the guitar, but that's just not my style. In fact, a little part of my brain was going off like "a song about medicine?!", because I've never heard music like this before. I'm afraid spiritualist songs like that aren't my type, but their harmony was kinda neat. :)

This is more my style... SonicFlood -- Resonate.

https://youtu.be/kLzXPwAW8UQ

Galadriel":24r5d01h said:
I liked the guitar, but that's just not my style. In fact, a little part of my brain was going off like "a song about medicine?!", because I've never heard music like this before. I'm afraid spiritualist songs like that aren't my type, but their harmony was kinda neat. :)

This is more my style... SonicFlood -- Resonate.

https://youtu.be/kLzXPwAW8UQ

Yeah, I love RISE's harmonies. I sing stuff similar to that.

I listened to the one you posted, to ME that actually has more of a 'pop' sound, and too 'processed' for my tastes ;) Of course I DO sometimes like very electronic based music, just depends. I like 'funky' stuff. ;) Well, we've both been introduced to something new. :)

"Processed", huh? :lol: Nice way of putting it!

Processed to me is crazy dubstep. A good, relatively controlled dubstep beat can be pretty good and enjoyable for me, but the insanity that sounds like a bunch of creaky robots arguing in scratchy, wired, wordless voices is awful!

I like techno music. Mom introduced me to Eric Champion, a super-techno Christian artist, and I really liked his stuff. :D

Galadriel":aclu7yyf said:
"Processed", huh? :lol: Nice way of putting it!

In the music world, 'processed' means... well it's what happens when a song goes from being 'raw' (more like what you heard in the song I posted, little to no 'effects' added, or digital 'processing' done) to the music being put through the mixing process... um let's see, how do I explain this... pitch correction is added, voices have 'reverb' (or whatever, but usually some form of reverb) added to them, drums are compressed, some fuzz or flange might be added to guitars... (although that can be done prior to mixing).

Here, I think this explains it [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhaCWahLZJg[/youtube]

Well, that doesn't really give a great example, because it's working with electronic music to start with. Oh well.

Here!! This explains it perfectly. You only need to listen to the first few seconds of the first video, then a few seconds of the next video to see what I'm talking about :)

http://www.reddit.com/r/Music/comments/2l9hm6/bands_that_are_overprocessed_and_sound_even/

It didn't show any evidence that the video even existed at first, but I found it. That was cool, but I got what you meant without it. Soundmixing. Like in movies. Sounds are edited to sound just how they want them to. We watched the making of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and for each movie it had a separate clip on just the soundmixing: adding the clink of armor, turning a woman's scream into the shriek of the Ringwraiths, a wolverine's defensive barking hiss into the squawk of Shelob. Stuff like that, except music requires more subtle editing. :)

Man, I posted this just to realize you'd posted another link! I'm afraid we're about to get throttled on our bandwidth, so I'll have to pass on the second one, but I get your meaning. :D

No, that was fine! I just have one question: what are fuzz and flange? I've never heard of them. I've probably heard them in music, but if I don't know the proper term, I make one up to describe it, like "fade-in" for when an instrument starts quietly and gets louder, but you can tell it's been at full volume the whole time. :)

Fade-in and fade-out are valid terms.

Fuzz and flange are types of sound distortion. Fuzz is a sort of buzzing sound, flange causes a tone to waver. Kind of difficult to describe, but you should Google it when you have more bandwidth available. :)

Syberchick70":2a0vmt6r said:
Fade-in and fade-out are valid terms.
Oh.... wow, that's great! Glad I've been using the right word after all! :p

Syberchick70":2a0vmt6r said:
Fuzz and flange are types of sound distortion. Fuzz is a sort of buzzing sound, flange causes a tone to waver.
Ohhhhhhh, yeah. I've heard that. Thanks! Now I know what the words for those noises are! :lol:

Uh, oh..... :hijacked: :oops:

Syberchick70":sttyiv0w said:
Well, I'm not familiar with your music listings either... what genre are they?
It's funny, really... She and Bunny-Wan Kenobi found our old stash of Christian music CDs from early in our marriage. They started playing them, and they'd call me in to tell me about this group or this artist that they'd found and really liked... come hear this song!!! And the first notes would play, and I'd say, "Oh, I know this song by heart... it's one of my favorites from this group!" :lol:

They got to White Heart (rock... sorta... mostly), and I pulled them over to Youtube to listen to one of the most beautiful love songs I've ever heard, called "Gabriella"... up there with "You are so Beautiful" by Joe Cocker and "The Lady in Red" by Chris de Burgh. Later, when she found the disk it was on, she made me sit in the car in a parking lot until "Gabriella" finished. :p

Galadriel":sttyiv0w said:
I like techno music. Mom introduced me to Eric Champion, a super-techno Christian artist, and I really liked his stuff. :D
She had told me she liked techno, and I told her that as far as I knew, she'd never heard real techno. That's when I looked up Eric Champion. The lyrics on the song I picked were vague and very different, but it was a great example musically. I even included the dystopian prelude, which they both found interesting. I don't care much for techno, but hey. I did play for them the one song he did that I really do like (it's not techno :lol: ), called "Endless".

My kids remind me of myself, in my teens, raiding my uncle's extensive LP collection. I preferred music from the 40s - 60s and some 70s to most of the music from the 80s. We've enjoyed introducing them to a lot of that music, too.

Syberchick70":sttyiv0w said:
lol sorry! I get enthusiastic with explanations ;) :D
:p Me too... that's how we end up watching science videos at midnight, after two hours of discussion while they are IN BED supposed to be asleep... :oops: :lol:

Galadriel":sttyiv0w said:
A good, relatively controlled dubstep beat can be pretty good and enjoyable for me
I... don't like Dubstep. :razz2: :lol:

michaels4gardens":sttyiv0w said:
The 2 "children" [21 and 25 years old] that are still at home with My wife and I, were home schooled also, but not because they were "gifted" in fact they have learning disabilities, and one, severe OCD . They have progressed very well in a home environment and now have jobs and are integrating into society on their terms.
My wife had decided to home School them before I met her,[18 years ago] so I can claim no credit for the decision. But I supported the decision - I still remember and cherish the the day my daughter went out into the yard after a rain ,sat on the ground and put mud all over herself, [she was very afraid of germs and dirt, and compulsively washed herself] she said-- "what is the worst that can happen, I could get sick and die, - so what-- I can't live like this either I am not going to be afraid any more" -- now-a-days, she is also a great musician, a very good cook at a restaurant, and makes very logical, and sound decisions. Her OCD has turned into compulsive work ethic, and she is a very valuable part of our home and loved by her employers [who wish they had a few more like her]
Sometimes home school is the best environment for children who are not "academically gifted" also
That is so neat and amazing... wonderful that she was able to make a decision to not allow it to rule her any more! :hooray:

You are so right that homeschooling is perfect for special needs kids. You can tailor the way you teach to the way your child learns best. And it can be different for each child.

MamaSheepdog":sttyiv0w said:
cmfarm":sttyiv0w said:
There have been studies that show that people with it have brains that are different.

Again, quoting from the same book:

Some medical professionals, mental health professionals, organizations, and government agencies claim that ADHD is a biologically-based and valid mental disease. In November, 1998, the National Institute of Health (NIH) held its NIH Consensus Development conference on "The Diagnosis and Treatment of Attention Deficit and Hyperactivity Disorder". Dr. James Swanson, Ph.D., Professor of Pedatrics at the University of Irvine, Ca. was given the task of proving that there was a biological basis for ADHD. In his presentation, Swanson showed many brain scan slides of children who allegedly had ADHD, and whose brain scans were different from normal children.

Here's what happened next:

...Then a child neurologist in the audience raised a telling point. He noted that psychiatric drugs are very toxic to a child's brain. Then he asked Swanson "How many of the children with brain abnormalities had been previously exposed to psychiatric drugs?" Swanson was forced to admit that all of the children had. Then the devastating follow up question "How could you withhold such vital information from your presentation?" Swanson made no direct reply.

-------------------------------------------------------

Another excerpt:

Let me quote Mr. Blumenfield again on this issue:

There must be something wrong with an education system that requires so many children to be drugged just to attend school.

Last year I spent a week in Beijing, China. During that week I visited a school where I was able to observe about 500 children doing their morning physical exercises in the school yard. I asked my host how many of the children were on Ritalin. He asked what was Ritalin. He had never heard of it. In short, in China they don't have ADD and they don't drug schoolchildren.

Are American children more mentally handicapped than Chinese children? Are they afflicted with a mental disease that is more prevalent in the U.S. than anywhere else on the globe?
Interesting... I wonder if the brain abnormalities were present because of the drugs, or because that's the way they were. No way to know, the way he did it.

China... yeah. I imagine they have the same kinds of kids we have, they just deal with it differently. In fact, I found this on a Chinese site:
A total of 15 to 19 million Chinese children suffer from attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), accounting for about 5 percent of mainland's school-age children, statistics of a recent survey revealed. ADHD has become a serious problem concerning public health, said Wang Yufeng, an expert on children's mental health and also a director of the Mental Health Research Institute of Peking University... http://www.china.org.cn/english/China/219830.htm

And this on NIH:
The results of studies using DSM criteria suggest that the prevalence of ADHD/ADD-H is at least as high in many non-US children as in US children. Certain populations may have a lower prevalence of ADHD symptoms (e.g., Iceland, Australia, Italy, and Sweden), but this cannot be concluded on the basis of the available data. Direct comparisons between different populations are required to truly assess the relative prevalence of ADHD symptoms in different cultures and countries. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1525089/

I am not speaking to the trustworthiness of the sources, and I don't pretend to know much about ADD/ADHD. I know there's a big debate about it. I remember being angered when every person with imperfect social graces was being media-diagnosed with Asperger's. Galadriel had gone through hours and hours of testing. When we first moved to Louisiana and set up with a new pediatrician, I learned that they didn't use the term "Asperger's" anymore, because it was being so overdiagnosed. They had reverted to calling it Pervasive Developmental Disorder. Thankfully, I had her records, and so I didn't have a fight on my hands. Most of the time, since Asperger's is on the Autism spectrum, I just tell people (when it's relevant) that my kids are mildly autistic. That way, I avoid both the people who have no idea what Asperger's is, and the people who would dismiss the diagnosis because they know it's been overused.

Miss M":hpbl7yre said:
China... yeah. I imagine they have the same kinds of kids we have, they just deal with it differently. In fact, I found this on a Chinese site:
A total of 15 to 19 million Chinese children suffer from attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), accounting for about 5 percent of mainland's school-age children, statistics of a recent survey revealed. ADHD has become a serious problem concerning public health, said Wang Yufeng, an expert on children's mental health and also a director of the Mental Health Research Institute of Peking University... http://www.china.org.cn/english/China/219830.htm

Ahah... well, that settles it. I wouldn't doubt it if they do deal with the issues differently.

Heck, I'm getting ready to arrange for testing for my son... intelligence, autism, adhd and... something else. Can't remember what it was. I know he's smart but there are some weird behavioral and sensory issues I would like to have answers (or at least opinions) on. I guess we'll see.

Syberchick70":34oyv1lu said:
Miss M":34oyv1lu said:

Ahah... well, that settles it. I wouldn't doubt it if they do deal with the issues differently.

Heck, I'm getting ready to arrange for testing for my son... intelligence, autism, adhd and... something else. Can't remember what it was. I know he's smart but there are some weird behavioral and sensory issues I would like to have answers (or at least opinions) on. I guess we'll see.

Be careful who you go to, and what their interest is-, sometimes these people "who are trying to save you" will try to get the state to force "the treatment" for a "disorder" if you refuse their treatment.- as far as Chinese children, -- I wonder if those tested had already been exposed to "the drugs"-- When my daughter was first "diagnosed" with OCD they put her on massive doses of drugs, it was totally the wrong approach, and we discontinued it almost immediately, -- turns out it was several times the maximum adult dose, and had we let it continue for very long permanent brain damage , and / or death would have been the result.

michaels4gardens":1ufyx25i said:
Be careful who you go to, and what their interest is-, sometimes these people "who are trying to save you" will try to get the state to force "the treatment" for a "disorder" if you refuse their treatment.

I'm being careful. I'm not interested in medication, regardless of what they tell me and I've never heard of a case where a person is forced to medicate their homeschooled kid for something like this. I just have gotten to the point where I want to better understand what's going on with him and whether some of the thing we are dealing with are simply defiance and behavioral, or something deeper. The fact that he responds so differently to things that should WORK with most kids, leads me to believe that there may be something else going on.

Syberchick70":kz7wre21 said:
Btw... In addtion to all of this other interesting kid stuff... Anyone else have a kid who spins in circles when you try to have a serious conversation with them?? Wth... I would be so dizzy. I don't know how he does it.

I used to twirl/spin a lot when I was a quite young child--really irritated my mother who easily became motion sick and couldn't imagine why anyone would do that. She was always trying to stop me so I learned to do it out of her sight until I "outgrew"? it.
Then my children made up a game that they called Moriarty that they played on a lawn with a hedge between them and the road. It was a form of tag with the it having their eyes closed and both players had to spin all the time while they were moving around the lawn. They tried to get visiting friends and cousins to play it with them but no one else was willing. They didn't have to hide it from me :D Just had to stay in a space that was safe.

I'm being careful. I'm not interested in medication, regardless of what they tell me and I've never heard of a case where a person is forced to medicate their homeschooled kid for something like this. I just have gotten to the point where I want to better understand what's going on with him and whether some of the thing we are dealing with are simply defiance and behavioral, or something deeper. The fact that he responds so differently to things that should WORK with most kids, leads me to believe that there may be something else going on.

When my daughter was attending public school for a few hours a week (art, music, gym, problem solving team) the teacher for gifted kids was concerned about her because of some things she had seen that my daughter had written. And my mother, who lived with us then, told me that my daughter was either becoming a blatant liar or she was "seriously disturbed". I was lucky to know someone who was an advocate both for gifted children and for homeschooling and I talked to her about it. She asked me if I was comfortable with listening to my daughter's unorthodox views, able to listen to her without getting anxious. If I was this mentor didn't think she needed professional help. And she said if we ever did decide we needed it that she could help us find someone. She felt that some "help" did more harm than good. It isn't only medication that can be harmful--adults that don't understand and stigmatize the child or try change behavior or thinking simply because they are uncomfortable with it can confuse and undermine a child quite easily.
That said, some behavior is problematic and needs to be dealt with. And I think it is hard raising healthy children in a culture that is sick. One of my favorite resources about those issues is Mary Pipher's book The Shelter of Each Other She's a family therapist and the book is about families--has a section about homeschooling.

Miss M":1d3mdwvn said:
They got to White Heart (rock... sorta... mostly), and I pulled them over to Youtube to listen to one of the most beautiful love songs I've ever heard, called "Gabriella"... up there with "You are so Beautiful" by Joe Cocker and "The Lady in Red" by Chris de Burgh.

*sigh*... That's such a beautiful song........................ Wait... WHAT??!!!! HOLD ON!!!!!!

Later, when she found the disk it was on, she made me sit in the car in a parking lot until "Gabriella" finished. :p

YOU were the one who said "We can't turn the car off in the middle of 'Gabriella', can we?"! All I did was agree! :evil:

Syberchick70":1d3mdwvn said:
lol sorry! I get enthusiastic with explanations ;) :D

:p Me too... that's how we end up watching science videos at midnight, after two hours of discussion while they are IN BED supposed to be asleep... :oops: :lol:

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Aw, c'mon, Mom! It's unschooling!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Galadriel":1u6kjtg4 said:
Miss M":1u6kjtg4 said:
Later, when she found the disk it was on, she made me sit in the car in a parking lot until "Gabriella" finished. :p

YOU were the one who said "We can't turn the car off in the middle of 'Gabriella', can we?"! All I did was agree! :evil:
And you have a defective memory module. I'll start shopping for a new one. :twisted:

Galadriel":1u6kjtg4 said:
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Aw, c'mon, Mom! It's unschooling!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Yeah... it's unsleeping, too! :p :yawn:

Miss M":t8jog9y5 said:
Galadriel":t8jog9y5 said:
Yeah... it's unsleeping, too! :p :yawn:

:lol: :lol:
I like your style :D <br /><br /> __________ Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:07 pm __________ <br /><br />
Rainey":t8jog9y5 said:
It isn't only medication that can be harmful--adults that don't understand and stigmatize the child or try change behavior or thinking simply because they are uncomfortable with it can confuse and undermine a child quite easily.
That said, some behavior is problematic and needs to be dealt with. And I think it is hard raising healthy children in a culture that is sick. One of my favorite resources about those issues is Mary Pipher's book The Shelter of Each Other She's a family therapist and the book is about families--has a section about homeschooling.

Nice post, thank You :) yeah, the issues I'm most concerned about are more serious ones that we're having issues dealing with in a healthy way. I'll try to look into the book.

Miss M":3l1v2xyt said:
Galadriel":3l1v2xyt said:
Miss M":3l1v2xyt said:

And you have a defective memory module. I'll start shopping for a new one. :twisted:

Oh, yeah, and your model number came from the best of the best.... right? I may not have the best of memories, but I know where I got it from! :twisted:

Latest posts

Back