My goats keep getting diarrhea!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
Yesterday when I fed the girls (three preg. Nubians) I thought to myself "You three look really good finally and even nice black goat berry poos at last!"

This morning Kay is running with thin light brown diarrhea again!

Have not changed their feed, they have two acres of thick brush to eat, they get grass hay for extra fiber in case the palmettos are not fibery enough :roll: and they are not due to be 'wormed for two more months. 'Wormed them last month when we had the last bout of diarrhea, using Ivermectin instead of what the lady we bought them from uses. So we are even using a 'wormer that any worms they may have havnt met before.

WHAT is this? Do goats just get diarrhea all the time? Am sending a sample for testing but this is starting to drive me crazy!

And they looked really good yesterday! *sob*

I have asked on a goat forum but I really trust you guys, does anyone have any ideas?

Really wish I could have afforded a cow now, these goats are soooooooo hard to keep healthy!

were they raised on brush where you bought them from? I've had goats from pellet fed stock get diarrhea on browse because it was too huge a change in diet, I stopped and penned my Nigerians then put them on the exact pellet feed they had from the breeder then gradually gave them "good" forage in their pen, have you also checked your pasture thoroughly for anything toxic? Beauty berry is a common problem on my property and I've heard fireweed to be an issue in other areas of this county. You need to be especially watchful now that it's spring; a lot of the baddies that were "dead" during winter are just now starting to re awaken.

That is a good point about browse being new to them. They went into a small pen for a few weeks, then a larger paddock and then into their 2 acre pen. Where I got them they had only ever seen grass so they dont even know how to move through the thick brush they now live in and tend to only go round the edges. :lol:

She is doing MUCH better this morning, eating and fighting with the top doe.

And we have a new baby this morning!!!

Latest posts

Back