My doe only had 2 babies?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illinoisguy

Reaction score
My doe had 8 babies maybe 7 weeks ago. Today she had only 2. Granted when I got her she was bred by another person. Why a small litter? COmmon?

How old?

I had that with a doe that normally has 7-11, but when she accidentially met the buck just hours after a litter she had only 2.

So, condition can be an issue, also overweight, mood, I assume maybe stress, bad sperm quality (heat...), and there's always pure chance meddling with our plans and expectations.

Since it does happen, I just would take it as an oddball litter, and see how she does next time, and not worry too much about some serious reason, like uterine cancer and such, I would deem that quite unlikely.

If she just had them today, she may not be done kindling. If something interrupts the doe, sometimes labour stops temporarily.

If no more appear in the next 24 hours or so, it could just be "one of those things." Were the two kits normal size or very large?

Back