My doe is going down hill fast

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasharia

Reaction score
The JW kits are 9 weeks today I took them out of the cage last night. Candy(mom) looked very thin when I picked her up. I was told to leave the kits in there till they are 10 weeks that is what I did with the Elops. Should I have weained the kits earlier? I hope she is not sick I can't take her to the vets :( This mo I am so tight with money it is not funny. She was ok a few days ago when I picked her up Sigh she is my fav bun too.

Is she eating still? If so, try to get some sycamore leaves (dried ones will work, too). They tend to spur apetites on rabbits which aren't eating for whatever reason, and go a long way toward treating diahrrea as well. Don't ask me why, but it works.

I always weaned my kits off at 8 weeks, but her problem may just be that she's worn out right now.

You might also get some calcium drench (for goats) at Tractor Supply or wherever and put a little in her water. (I use a tsp or two in a 32-oz bottle.)

Jasharia":38673r45 said:
The JW kits are 9 weeks today I took them out of the cage last night. Candy(mom) looked very thin when I picked her up. I was told to leave the kits in there till they are 10 weeks that is what I did with the Elops. Should I have weained the kits earlier? I hope she is not sick I can't take her to the vets :( This mo I am so tight with money it is not funny. She was ok a few days ago when I picked her up Sigh she is my fav bun too.

Don't know about Jersey Woollies in particular, but most rabbits can be weened at 6 weeks, I definitely wouldn't leave them over 8 unless they are in a colony setting. If she is eating OK, try giving here a little "calf manna" if you have any. A tablespoon a day during lactation will help keep them from getting run down. Sounds like she could use a tablespoon a day for a week or two.

I like to leave the kits with momma as long as possible, but if the doe is losing condition, you need to put her needs first. I would leave the kits and remove her to a cage of her own and make sure that she has plenty of palatable feed. I hear good things about calf manna in situations like this, but have no first-hand experience of it.

I am with Billy- is she eating and is she normal in every other way? None of my does have become very thin even when I left the kits in with mama until later on. I guess it is possible she is just giving everything she has to the kits, but I wonder if it isn't something else going on that is coincidentally at this same time? :(

Best of luck,

Lauren

Well we moved her from inside to outside 2 weeks ago. We just got a cold snap it got down to 40 at night. I do see come clear crust around her nose not much. She was drinking just fine and I saw her eatting. Her food has pellets, oats, black sunflower seeds and a little calf mana. Could it be her being run down then the cold snap she got a little cold? I realy hope she pulls though.

Crust around the nose is not a good sign.
Does she have a rumbling or raspy sound to her breathing?
I am thinking that there is something else going on.
Possibly a case of Snuffles [Pasteurella] brought about by stress.
Rabbits are easily stressed, having to raise the kits
and face an abrupt weather change could be a factor.
Is it possible she has been infected with Coccidiosis?
At any rate she seems to be quite run down.
I wean my kits at six weeks but whale they are with their Dam
they are on full feed. When there appears to be
a problem I will/would resort weaning as early as four weeks.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Something you may wish to try if you can swing a few bucks for it is a little vitamin electrolyte mix in the water for a few days. The mixes can be found at most feed stores.

No it is not Coccidiosis she has normal poo and her belly is soft and not bloated.
I think she is just sick the mucus is only in her nose. Her eyes are clear but now she is looking like she is haveing a hard time breathing. I am going to try the electrolytes see if that helps.

It sounds like Pasturella to me and if she is having trouble breathing then that can be serious. I know you are attached to her, but this kind of thing can wipe out your entire herd. I just read on another forum how a breeder lost seven of her ten does to this just a short time after the first doe came down ill. :(

I guess if you really want to try to treat, you can start antibiotic injections. Pasturella ssp. is supposed to have some susceptibility to penicillin, but I would still isolate her from everyone else and start handling her with protective measures (wash hands after feeding, etc./change clothes, etc.).

I wish you all the best in a bad situation,

Lauren

Thank you so much she is away from everyone now and the babies are in a new cage. I cleaned her cage and she is resting. She is pooing and peeing so she is eatting and drinking so far so good. I told the kids I am the only one to touch her so no one else gets sick.I hope she gets better.

Well she look 10X better today. Her nose is almost clear and she is breathing normal today. She ate alot last night and is drinking good. Her poos are still small and hard looking about I think she is recovering now that the babies are gone and she is alone. I feel bad I should have taken the babies away sooner.<br /><br />__________ Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:21 am __________<br /><br />Not sure why but Candy died last night. She was looking so much better. I still have her 3 kits and they look healthy and happy. but still she was my fav bunny.

I'm so sorry! It's so frustrating and heartbreaking when they show improvement and then take a sudden turn for the worst.

I am sorry,
but her passing may actually be a blessing in disguise.
I would clean and disifect everything that came in contact with that Rabbit.
Just to be on the safe side, if it was indeed Pasteurella it could easily
spread to the whole herd.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Latest posts

Back