My doe grunts when I try to rebreed?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButtonsPalace

Reaction score
So I've set up my breeding schedule and it works out well with them getting a week and 3 days between each rabbit being bred. So I bred the doe named Turtle first and on day one she was pretty ok she grunted a bit, but the next day when I brought in the buck to rebreed her, she was grunting and trying to bite him, I held her down and I let him pop off once *I do this because I've heard does ovulate 10 hrs. later and I don't know how long the sperm live* So July 5th I bred Harlem and she was fine she lifted and everything, July 6th was insanely crazy and I forgot to rebreed her so she got rebred July 7th instead but after she backed herself in a corner and was grunting and lunging at him I figured as a safety precaution I should just take him on out. Now it don't matter whether I bring the buck to the doe or vice versa they still do the same thing. Is this a typical thing? I'm only asking because I don't want my bucks to get hurt but I'm also not sure if they think they are pregnant or if they are or what. Wow this is confusing. I hope someone can make sense of it.

You should always bring her to him. The other way around can cause her to be upset, injure him, or even just make for a bad breeding environment (not as successful). The unwillingness to breed is likely because she already ovulated. Her body thinks she is bred, or she is bred, and it's telling her to stay away from the Bucks until later. Its not a for sure sign of pregnancy, but it is a common behavior associated with does who have been with a buck.

Well I've brought them to him and they do the same thing it's just harder to get them out of his cage sometimes. I will definitely do it the other way around now. And I hope the ones that should be pregnant are pregnant it would really help lol

Whenever my does have done the grunting/avoiding the buck on a second attempt to breed, they have already been bred and have had kits on day 31. Young does, first time, have avoided the buck and grunted when they just weren't ready yet. i wouldn't keep trying to rebreed if there had been what looked like a successful breeding on the first try. But that's because mostly breeding has gone easily for us and haven't had misses when we thought rabbits were bred. It will get easier when you've had successful kindles with your rabbits and know how they behave for breeding. We were confused at first because we weren't seeing the classic fall-off for some of our breedings. But since they produced kits, we stopped worrying about it. Hope you'll soon be seeing kits.

I hope you are successful too. We have learned a lot, and have been successful but also made some mistakes. If you have had what you feel is a successful first breeding, you should be ok and at least have good odds. My Hollands never want to re breed 12-24 hours after a breeding, but I had 3 litters for a total of 18 kits off of breeding one day with 2 or 3 fall offs each, and then our last litter, born on July 4th of 5 kits was also one breeding, 3 fall offs:)

Rainey":2zuwxkgl said:
Whenever my does have done the grunting/avoiding the buck on a second attempt to breed, they have already been bred and have had kits on day 31. Young does, first time, have avoided the buck and grunted when they just weren't ready yet. i wouldn't keep trying to rebreed if there had been what looked like a successful breeding on the first try. But that's because mostly breeding has gone easily for us and haven't had misses when we thought rabbits were bred. It will get easier when you've had successful kindles with your rabbits and know how they behave for breeding. We were confused at first because we weren't seeing the classic fall-off for some of our breedings. But since they produced kits, we stopped worrying about it. Hope you'll soon be seeing kits.

Only one doe that I have right now hasn't been bred and it's not the doe I just tried to rebreed. This will be her second litter <br /><br /> -- July 8th, 2016, 5:48 pm -- <br /><br /> She had 4 fall offs so I doubt she isn't pregnant. But I had one that had one or two fall offs and I'm hoping for a litter from her in a few days. She's not really looking pregnant but that don't mean anything

Back