my bunny keeps pooing on my bed

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corikim

Reaction score
It's been two full days now since I've had Doggy (that's her name haha). I don't have a cage yet because I bought her on a whim but it's arriving today from amazon. She jumps out of every thing I put her in or cage her in with (random things at my house) but she manages to jump over everything so I just let her roam around my room even when I'm not home.
I have a box that's around 4 feet long and 2 feet tall (she's jumped this too) with a some tupperware (on its side) with bedding, alfalfa hay, water, and some pellets. It's in the corner of my room and there's an opening in the box so she can go in and out. She goes in there sometimes to just chill and to eat and drink. There's a pee stain and there's poo laying around.
I thought that rabbits only poo and pee where ever they last went... but instead of going inside the box, she's been pooing (too many times to count) and peeing (3 times) on my bed all day. I clean everything up and spray a really strong room spray (so she can't smell that she went there before).
She woke me up 2 times last night running over me and peeing and pooing everywhere on my bed... At this point, there's no covering on my bed and I just lay old bed sheets just for the night (uncomfortable af). I cleaned and sprayed but she won't stop. Can anyone help?

Welcome to RabbitTalk, Corikim! :)

Rabbits usually pick a place to pee at least, but not always. It sounds like she has not picked a place yet, and you will need to help her with that. It's also possible that she is claiming everything in your room as hers... which is a little harder to deal with but might be solved by spaying her when she is fully grown.

Once you get her cage, I think it would be good to keep her in it except when you have her out for short times. Have a dish tub or something like that to use as a litter box, and put whatever you're going to use for litter in there. I use horse stall pine pellets, which absorb a lot of liquid and help with the odor. They're also way cheaper than most litter (you can buy the same thing under the name "Feline Pine" with the other cat litter, but I'm sure it's more expensive that way). I put a layer about two pellets deep in the bottom of the tub, and then cover it with a generous layer of pine shavings (or flakes, whichever word they use). The shavings also help with smell, and they help keep the sawdust from the pellets from leaving the tub. Instead of the shavings, you can put a wire floor in the tub a couple of inches over the pellets.

Take a paper towel and sop up some of her urine, and put it in the litter box. Close her in her cage. Then thoroughly clean anywhere she has peed before. Your sheets should be soaked in the washer with some vinegar or Borax or baking soda to help kill any smell that is left (you might not be able to smell it, but the rabbit can). The carpet can be spot-treated with vinegar, or with Borax or baking soda mixed with water. The idea is to absolutely remove any other pee smell except for the paper towel in the litter box. If she pees elsewhere in her cage, clean it up and move the litter box where she peed.

Poo balls are another thing. She may start putting the majority of them in the litter box, or she may not.

If you can get your hands on it - an enzymatic cleaner like "Natures Miracle" is an amazing product for dealing with any bio-stains (pee, poo, even kid puke) !

I swear by the stuff, and have for years.

I've never found vinegar, baking soda, borax, etc to do ANYTHING to truly remove the odours the animals can smell - even if they clear it enough for our measley human noses !

Latest posts

Back