My big ooops

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coyotejoe

Reaction score
Just a dumb blunder. I thought it had been 39 days since I last put my big doe with a buck so I thought she must never have been pregnant. Thus thinking I put her in the cages of both bucks and she resisted their advances, which disappointed me but didn't surprise me at all. Later that day, yesterday, I noticed she had been pulling fur and lining her nest box. I thought she was just confused but checking back a few hours later I found it was I who was confused, she had delivered 7 kits, one dead, 6 alive.
Re-checking my calendar I realized I had miscounted a week, it was only 32 days since she was bred. :oops:
I do hope she has better luck this time. Her last litter was 5 born alive but they died one by one over the span of a few days.

Well she did lose one yesterday. Just groping around in the hay and fur to feel warm, wiggling bodies and oops, there's one cold and still. When I pulled it out it seemed like its back legs were bound together in fur and hay. The remainder are still doing fine and Momma has calmed down and doesn't cry so much whenever I approach her cage, for a few days she just screamed bloody murder from the time I stepped into the hutch until I left.

__________ Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:53 am __________

One more kit found dead this morning. I have no idea what is wrong but it seems like a repeat of her last ill-fated litter. <br /><br /> __________ Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:34 am __________ <br /><br /> I don't get it. She lost another kit last night. That's one dead on Friday, another on Sunday and then again this morning. She's down to 4 left after the first week. This is much like her previous litter which she lost them all, one or two per day. :?

Sorry to hear about your dwindling litter. :( We had a doe like that last spring. She lost her whole first litter over the course of the first week. The next litter she only kept 4 out of 11. We didn't breed her again. The four survivors went to freezer camp. It was very discouraging especially she was the first of our juniors that we bred. But her 2 sisters each had 3 good litters for us last year and both have already kindled this spring. Don't know what it was about that one doe, but after the second round I was done pulling out dead kits from the nest box day after day.
Don't know how many other rabbits you have but hope you get a healthy litter of survivors soon.

Right now I have 3 adult does and two bucks with 12 eight week old grow outs. That is about all I have room for. The two other does were bred last week so hopefully by the time their next litters are weaned the current growouts will be ready for the freezer.

Latest posts

Back