My baby rabbit only eats parsley

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teran

Reaction score
I bought a rabbit (adopting wasn't available) seller told me he's 4 weeks old and only eats parsley.How should I introduce him to hay? How much parsley should I give him everyday?

Four weeks is far too young to sell baby rabbits. In many places it is prohibited by law. Bunnies that young are either still nursing or are just barely weaned. So this is a challenging situation for you.

Offer him hay in his cage and chances are he will try it within a day or two. Also give him some plain kitchen oatmeal (the old-fashioned large flake kind). It is very easy for rabbits to digest and most of them like it.

Water is very important, since he no longer has his mother's milk. A crock is preferable to a bottle as he may not be able to figure out how to use a water bottle yet. You can moisten the oatmeal if he isn't drinking well and put just a tiny pinch of brown sugar on it to entice him. Offer some dry oatmeal as well.

This "he only eats parsley" thing is scary. No reputable breeder would sell a baby rabbit that young and on such an inadequate diet. Parsley is nutritious, but he can't live on it.

Since he likes greens, there is a very safe lawn weed called plantain that he will be able to eat without diarrhea developing. If you can find some, offer him a few leaves as a supplement to the other things.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantago_major

Did the seller tell you what the momma rabbit gets to eat? If so, try to get the same thing(s) for him. Usually baby bunnies will nibble momma's feed as soon as they are out of the nest box.

Is he pooping and peeing? Are the poops the normal little "bunny berries" or are there signs of diarrhea? Do keep an eye on this.

I hope you will post updates so we can continue to help you keep this little guy alive. You will have to decide soon what feed you are going to feed him on a permanent basis. We can help you with this, but let's get him eating and drinking first.

If this is your first rabbit, ask lots of questions. Rabbits take a bit of getting used to. :good-luck:

@MaggieJ Thanks I will try hay and oatmeal but I've heard we shuoldn't change the diet that fast wouldn't be dangerous??
He doesn't drink water I don't know for how long ,I bought him today.can I use syringe?
His poops seemed normal but I just found some yellow liquid like puke, I don't know what it is

Oh boy, this doesn't sound good. Rabbits can't puke. It is physically impossible for them. Check his hind end to see if it was wet poop.

You are perfectly right that changes in diet should normally be made gradually, but in this case he can't just eat parsley. I don't know why the seller would tell you that. Did the seller also feed him pellets? Or anything else?

Do you have any way to get in touch with the seller to ask for information? If you just got the bunny today, is there any chance you can return him? He really is too young to be sold. The stress alone of going to a new home makes it risky.

Hay and oatmeal are probably the most digestible foods you could give him. The plantain leaves will help stop diarrhea. Very safe.

He can have as much hay as he wants but start him with a couple of spoonfuls of oatmeal and see what he does with it. If you are moistening it to increase his fluids, remember that it should not be left uneaten for more than about 6 hours or it may go bad. So just give him a bit at a time.

You can use an eye-dropper or syringe to give water, but if you just got him today, wait a while. It can be tricky and you don't want him to aspirate it and have it go into his lungs.

Keep us updated. Other members will likely chime in later on and give you advice as well.

Maggie J is spot on with her advice. (like usual)
Yellow liquid also sounds like it could be the start of kit diahrea to me.

I've never ever had a rabbit or kit react poorly to hay and old fashioned oatmeal, even with a sudden switch onto them from pellets or greens.
Those two feeds are commonly used as the "emergency diet" for rabbit digestive upsets because they are so safe for bunnies.

I might be able to return him but I'm pretty sure he would be sold to someone else there was about 10 or more babies, tbh it's common in the country to sell them like that .I asked the seller about hay, he said parsley would be just fine!
He's eating the moistured outmeal would it be enough water?
Right now his priority is to get out of cage he's jumping around and trying to get through the bars
I can't get plantain I've never seen one here

Are you located in the United States or Canada? What state or province? There are very few areas where plantain doesn't grow, but you may need to find a vacant lot or park where weed-killers aren't used. It will be most useful if the yellow liquid is the beginnings of diarrhea. You sound young. Could your parents or an older friend help you locate some?

It's good that he is taking the moistened oatmeal, but a water dish is essential. Perhaps he is sneaking a drink when you're not looking. Next time you give him oatmeal, maybe make it a bit wetter. Watch for sings that he has peed -- it's a good indicator that he is not dehydrated.

Poor guy :( That is crazy that the person is selling them so young! I don't have any added advice, still too new to rabbits to be able to offer much, just wanted to send you well wishes that you can get something figured out for him or get him back to his mama... either one. Although, like you said, chances are he'll just get sold again...

If the cage you have for the bunny is wire bottomed, make sure to provide a bedded area where the little one can snuggle off of the wire. Very young kits are susceptible to chilling, and will normally huddle together for warmth.

In addition to plain water, I would offer an electrolyte solution to fend off dehydration. Some people use Gatorade or other sports drinks, but it is very simple and inexpensive to make your own electrolytic solution at home.

I especially like the idea of using molasses and pureed banana in the recipe below (you will probably want to cut this recipe in half since you wont need much):

Things You'll Need

1 liter of water
8 level tsp. of sugar (or molasses or raw sugar)
1/2 tsp. of salt

Instructions

1 Mix 8 tsp. of sugar and 1/2 tsp. of salt in 1 liter of water. Store in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Mix fresh after 24 hours. The National Institute of Health recommends adding only a very small amount of orange or apple juice to improve the palatability of a homemade electrolyte solution.

2 Consider using molasses or raw sugar instead of white sugar. Molasses and raw sugar contain more potassium than white sugar, and potassium is an important component of electrolyte solutions. For the added potassium, puree (or mash) a banana and stir in some sugar and very little salt to taste, perhaps 1/4 tsp. Add some water to thin it out if you have to.

3 Make a solution containing starch. Starches are an important component of recovering nutrients lost due to diarrhea. Mix 1/2 to 1 cup of precooked baby rice cereal or 1 1/2 tbsp. of sugar with 2 cups of water and 1/2 tsp. of salt. Mix well.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5875270_make-el ... ution.html

I would also recommend getting a probiotic paste labeled for goats, sheep, horses, etc. and giving a small dab of that per day until the little guy seems stable.

I hope all goes well- please keep us updated. :clover:

I'm from Iran, asia. can't find plantain here but I'll try the electrolyte .
Actually he peed alot after I brought him home, but it's been about 6 hours from the last time

He's making sudden movements like binky but it seems he can't control it ,unable to clean himself, peed once in 12hours. He's poops are round and black, I gave him the electrolyte he took few sips
He doesn't eat the oatmeal, started eating paper so I gave him some parsley
@imajpm do you know that weeds name?

Can you get rabbit pellets or grass hay? My litter is three weeks old and already nibbling hay and pellets, and sipping out of a bowl.

Teran":3w2hoofg said:
@imajpm do you know that weeds name?
If this is helpful, here are some translations of common names for plantain (from this site: ttp://www.iranicaonline.org/articles/ba ... plantago-l)

lesān al-ḥamal
BĀRHANG
ḏū sabʿat ażlāʿ
kaṯīr al-ażlāʿ
esparza/esfarza
ḵargūšak

Hope this helps you find the right plant!

Careful with rabbit pellets if the kit didn't start on them along with it's mother.

Quickly switching over to pellets can be just as bad for parsley-fed weanlings as switching over to grasses and fresh greens can be to pellet-fed ones.

Any feed transition needs to be made gradually, especially at that age.

Hay, oats, plantains, and the leaves of most members of the rose family would be some of the few known exceptions to that rule.

Gosh is he cute!! It looks like with his coloring he's a false Charlie (that's coloring, not breed). I would say he's a "mixed" rabbit, but maybe part mini rex? My part mini rex babies have similar ears and the floofy coat. Glad he is doing well!! Thank you for the update!!

What an adorable baby! I love the picture of him sitting up. He has a really elegant head.

With that long fur, I am thinking he has one of the angora breeds in him.

So cute!!
:love:

The colored parts I can see look to be fawn with a little dark smut on the ears.
I agree with MSD about the long fur, maybe some angora or wool breed in there?

Back