Multiple Litters- questions...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildWolf

Reaction score
I did a quick search, and found 1 answer, but I just want to double check, and clear things up:
When I say "colony", I mean a colony of 2 does, and 0 bucks.

How long can you leave the kits in a colony (assuming you have plenty of space)? Until they are 12weeks, or until they are 14 weeks, or...? Can you leave the doe kits in with the doe colony for the rest of their life (no matter if they are a keeper or going to be butchered at 14-16 weeks)?

Can you have an older litter and a younger litter in the doe colony at the same time, if both litters are from the same doe? In other words, can you have Doe#1's 4 week litter and Doe#1's 12 week old litter in at the same time (The breeding schedule I'd like to go by is breeding the doe every other month.)? (also, I think I would separate the 12 week old bucks, but I'm not sure. Which is why I asked the first question. If you do have to separate the kits at 12 weeks, then assume that Doe#1's older litter is 11 weeks, and her younger litter is 3 weeks.)

Can you have 3 litters together, if they have enough room, if the litters are different ages? As in, can Doe#1's 4week old litter, Doe#1's 12 week old litter, and Doe #2's 8week old litter be in the same colony? (I have a very large space. And I'm willing and able to expand a bit if I see that the colony is too crowded.)

WildWolf":szrk5uqv said:
I did a quick search, and found 1 answer, but I just want to double check, and clear things up:
When I say "colony", I mean a colony of 2 does, and 0 bucks.

How long can you leave the kits in a colony (assuming you have plenty of space)? Until they are 12weeks, or until they are 14 weeks, or...? Can you leave the doe kits in with the doe colony for the rest of their life (no matter if they are a keeper or going to be butchered at 14-16 weeks)?
at 12 wks bucks will start fighting and you will start getting pregnancies. meaning you now have bucks in your colony. plus lots of fighting.

Can you have an older litter and a younger litter in the doe colony at the same time, if both litters are from the same doe? In other words, can you have Doe#1's 4 week litter and Doe#1's 12 week old litter in at the same time (The breeding schedule I'd like to go by is breeding the doe every other month.)? as long as you make sure the older kits don't climb in the younger kits nest and smush em all to death. this is what I had happen in my cage colony. (also, I think I would separate the 12 week old bucks, but I'm not sure. Which is why I asked the first question. If you do have to separate the kits at 12 weeks, then assume that Doe#1's older litter is 11 weeks, and her younger litter is 3 weeks.)

Can you have 3 litters together, if they have enough room, if the litters are different ages? As in, can Doe#1's 4week old litter, Doe#1's 12 week old litter, and Doe #2's 8week old litter be in the same colony? (I have a very large space. And I'm willing and able to expand a bit if I see that the colony is too crowded.)as I said before about smushing the younger kits. but if you can set it up that they don't then I suppose it would work fine.

Ok, so I do need to separate the bucks at 12 weeks. Can I leave the 12+ week old does in? How would you prevent the older kits from climbing into the nests?

if you have enough room I don't see why not. just would need to really watch for fighting amongst them because the young does will start getting hormonal i'd imagine and the older does might not take too lightly to the ruckus.

and I have no idea about keepin the older kits out of the younger kits nest. one of the reasons I haven't put my cage colony back together /: hope someone else chimes in with ideas that might be able to help more!

Thank you ohiogoatgirl!! You know how sometimes does in colonies will cover the opening of their nest wioth straw and grass? If either I or the doe covered the nest opening, would that help keep out the older kits? Would it mess up the doe's mothering if I covered it for her?

WildWolf":1q09ipw3 said:
Thank you ohiogoatgirl!! You know how sometimes does in colonies will cover the opening of their nest wioth straw and grass? If either I or the doe covered the nest opening, would that help keep out the older kits? Would it mess up the doe's mothering if I covered it for her?

possibly. mine was a cage colony and they tended to eat all the hay I could ever stuff in there no matter how much :roll: so maybe that affected my results.

does tend to cover their nests and I think the only time they aren't is when the kits are hot and they pop around to cool off.

my worry about covered nests in a colony is accidently stepping on nests because I didn't see it. but it may very well work.

I've left two litters together until 6mo old, no breeding, no mounting, nothing happened.

Wow, chickiesnbunnies!! I don't think most rabbits will do that, but I'm glad to know that rabbits can be raised all together peacefully (or at least with no terrible fighting...).
ohiogoatgirl- Hahaha, I can imagine the does stuffing their mouths with hay. Maybe straw or just normal boring grass or dried leaves would prevent them from being so eager to eat it? I'm hoping that the does will use the boxes/tunnels/straw bales... I have a wire floor on the run, so I know they can't dig a nest. I think that will take care of the danger of stepping on them. I never thought about the heat and covering the nest. I'm not sure what to do to prevent the older kits from entering on a hot day. Well, actually I doubt they would want to use energy to enter an even-more-hot box...
Thanks for your replies!

I'd be pulling the bucks starting at 8 weeks of age and then double check all the girls until they hit 12 weeks so you don't get unexpected surprises. The bucks will grow faster if you pull them out too so you can butcher them sooner.

Long nestboxes with lots of straw. Moms will generally block up the entrances and keep the kits out.

I think I will check the kits every week just to be on the safe side, and get them used to being handled. And I will make my nest boxes long, with plenty of straw. Why will the bucks grow faster if you pull them out?
Thank you!

WildWolf":1j8r7uxr said:
Why will the bucks grow faster if you pull them out?

Maybe because they're not expending energy chasing the girls. That's the theory for chickens anyway.

My colony has 1 buck and 1 doe and over the winter they had four litters back to back. I butchered the first litter at ten weeks and, seeing that they were a little small, I left the next litter until 11 weeks which meant a couple of times I actually had three litters in there at the same time (the third litter in each case was still in the nestbox). There were no problems and the different age litters slept in a pile together once they were old enough to come out of the nestbox. The colony is 5' x 10'. There has been no fighting except the doe gets a little aggressive with an older litter once the next litter comes along, I assume it's to wean the older litter quickly so she's not nursing two litters at the same time.

From my experience: The bucks will mount anything their size our bigger, between 12 to 14 weeks. I don't have problems with them fighting after I've removed them but kept them together. Right now I have two 16 week old with their father and a few younger rabbits. They're doing fine. They have mounted eachother, but they're just establishing dominantce. My does have chased their older kits and nipped their bottoms, if they get near the new nest. What ever you choose, the more room they have the better. When the curious older kits are chased off they need a place to go. Bucks together also will need t their space too. If you don't separate them by sexes, your rabbit population will multiply faster! ;-). Note: not all rabbits sexually mature at the same rate. I just know my Polishes.

Thanks! I do have a ton of room- I made their colony pen twice as big as it needs to be. I'll just be checking the babies every week, and separating at 8 or 10 weeks.

Back