Moving rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shara

Reaction score
So my husband somehow got it into his head that it would be alot easier for us to put all the rabbits together, or to split them up into two groups. I have a doe due here in a week, three bucks of different ages, a doe that just got bred, and a passel of four month ish does.

I told him it was a bad idea, and we need to keep them separate, because they will fight. I had to separate them because they were fighting, and I don't think it's a good plan. He is thinking this is the only way, and if it cant be done this way they need to go to the shelter. I'd rather eat them, ya know? Anyways, once he sees my plan he will have to go with it, because thats how it is.

I just wanted your guys' opinions on putting rabbits together for a trip? (Scott thinks of you all as experts) Would they be like he thinks and be too scared to fight? Or am I right and they would most likely fight and injure eachother? (I think I know the answer, I just need to know for hubs benefit) thanks guys!

Please don't put them together for the trip!

They would likely fight, especially if they fought in the past, but the main reason is that it will add to their stress. As you know, Shara, stress is cumulative... and rabbits are very susceptible to it. Also, the doe that is due in a week's time is very vulnerable, whether she kindles before or after the move. All those hormonal things going on! If she has young kits, put them in a separate container so she will not accidentally trample them during the drive.

When is your travel date? If you tell us, perhaps we can help you troubleshoot.

-----------
Been thinking some more about this. What you may be able to do is put dividers into existing cages. Rabbits in transit are best without too much room because it keeps them from bouncing around and getting injured. So a 30 x 36 inch cage, for instance, could be divided into three compartments for the journey. You can just use wire mesh zip-tied or wired into place. This only works, of course, if the doors are large enough to provide access... so I'm not sure it will be helpful to you.

We move the first. Spooky is due the fourth (I shouldn't have bred her when I did, I should have waited a weekd, but I counted it wrong in my head)

That is exactly what I thought. Thank you! I tried a few differnt pairing of rabbits, back when they were little, but I really just need a colony set up if I want them around each other.

It's unfortunate that Spooky is due so close to the moving date, but it can't be helped. It is possible that the move may trigger labour, so it may be best to put her in a darkened container (cardboard box or pet carrier) with lots of hay or other bedding in case she kindles en route. How long will they be in transit?

5 1/2 hours, aproxamatly, but we were thinking of breaking it in hal for Caelin, who is two. So what we were thinking was drive halfway there, put rabbits back in cages, camp out, the next day put them back in the boxes, and complete the trip. Should we try to delay a couple of days till she kindles? we can possibly work that out...I'd hate for her to deliver preterm.

I don't think delaying is necessary... what will be, will be. I just meant to give her the necessary bedding so she can make a nest if she needs to.

I'd be inclined to do it all in one run rather than break it, but you need to put Caelin's needs first. There are no rights and wrongs here and no absolutes... just guesses as to what might be best. I hope some other members chime in on this because I have not had to move rabbits, although I had one brought to me last year -- several hours in transit in a cardboard box with shavings. He was just fine and did not seem at all stressed, but he is a very laid-back buck. :)

Think about people who show rabbits... Their rabbits are in transit a lot more than this and then have the show (more stress) and then the return trip. But they make it. So don't agonize over the rabbits... Do your best for them and that's all you can do.

There's also a possiblity of another plan for Spooky, one I don't like very much but is there and may be better for her. A person I know offered to keep the rabbits at his place if I needed to so I could make a return trip up to get them, and my mom and I have to come up here on the 12th anyway to testify in court against my uncle. The stuff could take three days, tops, and I could bring her and the kits back when I head back to Burns. At least then They'd be a touch older. The only reason I don't like it is because I would rather have my animals with me. I don't tend to trust others with them, nothing against this guy, I am just really attatched to her, and excited for these babies.

(I do know for a fact she is pregnant. I think feeling her tummy the last time so much (hoping she was) got me used to the feel of a non pregnant belly, so when I did it this time, it was very obvious there were popples in there)

But maybe the waiting for her would be better? I don't know. She is a fairly bomb-proof rabbit, which she has passed on, thankfully. How early can babies be born and do well? I know they can kindle on day 28 and live, but is that common (for them to live?) So many questions.

She is also a good mommy. The last two litters had no losses, but were only 5 and 6.

Hello again Shara,
I am thinking that you do not have carrying cages, am I correct?
I would NOT, I repeat would not place any of the rabbits together
with another during transport. I would cut ample airholes in boxes if you must,
but each rabbit should be in their own separate quarters.
If the rabbits were to fight in such confined quarters there is bound to be
sadness upon your arrival at your destination. You could make your own carrying cages.
Each hole eight" X ten" X 8"high. It is possible to make a three or even four hole carrier.
You can even use Wooden Orange crates on a short term basis.
I am certain that you will work something out.
I hope I've come upo with some useful suggestions.
Dennis, C.V.R.

I just moved my own... 7 hour trip... plus 4 till arrival to destination.. they were all in dog kennels.. dad was in oone by himself.. mom n babies in another... I bought a cage until the next day to put mom n babies.. dad is still in a carrier.. he gets switched from one to another till a new cage arrives (they were sold out)... and they r doing fine...

5 1/2 hrs doesn´t sounds as bad... and besides your baby might sleep all the way there.. so you might be able to do it all at once.. JMO... kids tend to get sleepy in road trips..

I was going to say that too--we always try to drive at night or very, very early in the morning. Give the kids their blankies, a small drink of plain water, and pack a few snacks. They still sleep almost the whole way at 7 and 14, just bring lots of coffee for you. We make 8 hour runs often to visit family, as long as the engine runs they snooze.

I recently transported one young bunny on two trips. He was in shock on the first hour long trip--staring glassy-eyed and bunched in the corner. By the 7th or 8th hour of the second trip he was dozing sprawled on his side, and grooming himself and eating--acting normal and relaxed. They do seem to adapt. Just like kids!

Latest posts

Back