Moving rabbits on a budget

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shara

Reaction score
So, I am trying to figure out how I am going to move my rabbits to eastern or, without spending hundreds of dollars or killing my rabbits. Something crossed my mind...

Would a rabbit do okay in a cardboard box that wasn't taped as long as they had food and water? Just a random question. Any one have ideas on how to move a herd of rabbits?

The trip is about 5 hours long.

Edited because I wrote "crodded" instead of crossed. Something's been crodding my mind, dontcha know...

Cat and small dog carriers are cheap and sturdy when bought used at garage sales or found on freecycle.com, and if you bed them with hay they contain the pee for a while--just transported a young buckling 20 hrs in one of those. He actually relaxed and looked happy, sprawled out like a puppy.

We use cardboard boxes for chickens and for the bunnies. I always bed them down with a lot of straw or hay, and every few hours on the trip they get offered water. I haven't moved a lot of rabbits cross country, but they seem to be fine for a 6 or 7 hour drive. You can make a few holes in the upper sides if you feel it will be too stuffy.

I've moved chickens in plastic tubs, too. Just a screen over the top so they don't fly out into the car. Again..bedded down well it's easyto clean out, and stays smell free :)

If your rabbits are used to fresh foods wet vegetables or melon works far better than a container of water. No leaking/spilling and they don't have to drink at specific times when they may be too stressed to do so. You can also keep it in a cooler with ice so they have cold melon to eat if it's hot out.

Thanks guys! So many good tips!

My original Idea was that I was going to load the cages up (rabbits and all) and take them that way. Then when I thought about it, it didn't sound like a good plan.

When I moved our bunnies 5 hours, I tried a cardboard box for the 10-week-old babies at first. They chewed a hole in a corner big enough to escape from in under 5 minutes! I ended up putting them in a 24x24 we had. We covered the seat with a tarp, then towels, and then put the cage on top. The doe and buck were in separate small carriers next to them. We put lots of hay in the cage and carriers. It worked perfectly. :)

You may need to cover the top with a sheet or towel if the sun will be coming in from that direction when you are driving. I didn't have to, because I was driving west, in the evening.

We send rabbits too the auction in boxes.they are in there 4 or 5 hours.i line the boxes with newspaper add some hay cubes and a piece of apple or carrot.i cut some small holes in the boxes.

depends on the bunnies and temperature.

Cardboard boxes do heat up, but I've often transported rabbits that way. Make sure the boxes are sturdy. If you live near a subway restaurant (or some such type place) ask them if they have some sturdy tomato or green pepper boxes.

You could try making your own travel cages. If you have any old cage wire just cut and zip time together and for a base use an old rubbermaid container or a box bedded with shavings. :)

I would worry about transporting rabbits with too much space to bounce around too

Franklin came to be paralysed potentially the result of a travel injury ... more likely an exacerbated injury due to travel but either way I try to keep them a little confined ... I have used carbord boxes but due to the chew factor my first choice is small carriers ..

Latest posts

Back