Moving Bunnies

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss M

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Being in a first-floor apartment, we have an apartment above us. The porch above ours is being replaced starting Monday. There is no way I can leave the hutch out there while this is done.

So I have to bring the rabbits in. The work will take all week, so I can't just bring them in and keep them in tubs for that long. I think that would totally stress them out. I'm figuring on bringing the whole hutch into the living room, so at least that one thing will not change.

But I have several questions about this:

1. How do I minimize their stress with all the loud noise that will be going on?

2. Pearl is due next week with her first litter. Is she going to feel threatened by the change and noise and possibly hurt her kits?

3. When the work is over, is it okay to put everybody right back on the porch, babies and all? This is Florida, but today didn't get out of the 30s. I don't know what it will be like in a week.

I probably have more questions, but can't think of them right now. Thank y'all for any advice you have for me!! :)

as long as they aren't bothered where they are they SHOULD be okay, that depends though on the rabbit.

I find when I move rabbits drastically...as in from outside to inside that ignore them as much as possible for the first three days. Just to give them a chance to settle without being bothered.

Now yours will stay be in "their home" all that is happening in their surroundings will be changed, I imagine they should do fine. If not, then cover their cages with a loose sheet, enough for air flow but enough to block their vision so they feel safe.

when it's all done and over with I'd move them right back outside.

it's great you are able to move their whole set up
and that you will continue to be the caregiver

I back off does near term (I often don't know them all that well) and rarely find a doe who hurts her kits - a doe might be too stressed to care for them ...
in terms of moving back to the porch I might not move the doe if she is due any minute by the time the repairs are complete

They won't like the noise, but will likely adjust pretty quickly. The sheet over the cage to keep them calm is a good idea. Make sure it's an old one... they will likely nibble it! If they like soft music, that may also calm them.

As far as moving them outside again, I tend to think that if they have settled in okay indoors, I'd leave them there if you can until Pearl kindles and you are past the first vulnerable days. Two moves so close together may upset the doe, especially once she has kits, and since the weather has been so unpredictable down south this year it is likely safer for the kits indoors until they are well-furred.

Thank you all!!! That's all very helpful info!

My hubby did tell me that if needed he could push it off a week... the only problem is, if she's just a tad late, I'd be running up against the same situation again.

The one place where I can put them is, unfortunately, a few feet on the other side of the sliding glass door that leads to the porch. So there will be plenty of noise. I will definitely do the sheet and the music (I don't know if they like it or not yet, actually, but I figure calm music can't hurt).

Our weather has certainly been a roller coaster, Maggie! Yesterday it was actually supposed to snow... it did snow just north of us, but we're just a little too close to the coast, I guess. We got sleet and lots of very, very cold rain. Then today was fine with just a jacket. Crazy Florida weather! I will definitely keep an eye on the temps and the state of their fur when considering when to move them back outside!

Thank you all again!!!!! :thankyou: Y'all are the best!! :grouphug:

Latest posts

Back