Most affectionate/cuddly rabbit breeds?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToesInTheSand

Reaction score
So I'm new to rabbits, and am looking for a "companion". I'm a dog person, so I'm looking for a rabbit breed as close to that as I can get. I've narrowed it down to mini lops, lionheads, and mini rex, (I always wanted a flemish giant, but how large does their cage need to be?)..I am open to other suggestions. For cage I was thinking 24"x24", or should I get a 24"x30". Thanks for your help.

Why would you keep a "companion" in a cage anyway?

I had a beveran that I used to take for walks all the time.

For cuddle value I'd go with a french lop.

He would only be caged when I'm at work/away from home. I work part time, and have a large backyard. So I plan on getting a harness/xpen and letting him romp outside.

I 2nd Ivory's suggestions, especially the french lop. I used to raise those and they are soooo sweet. Also would add the American Blue or American White rabbit. I have these now and they are very sweet and very cuddly.
As far as cage size for a med to large rabbit would be a bare minimum 30x36 which would be kinda small for some of the flemish giants and a couple of the larger french lops I had. Back then they were bred for size sometimes and I had a 15 pound doe! She was in a 48x30 cage.
Good luck with your discision :) but be warned......rabbits can be addictive! ;) :D

I'll look more into the American Blue, I found 2 breeders near me. For the French Lop I'm having a harder time finding a breeder, I didn't see any TX breeders on the ARBA website.

I know! Its such a shame the french lop has nearly disapeared. I looked to see where you were and was hoping some would be near you, there is one guy near me and almost never has any available. I have one buck from him. That a sad thing for such an awesome breed. I hope somehow they will make a comeback.
I think you will love the American Blue. They have great personalities. :)

I'll second American Blue, obviously, you have to go with what is available.

So the American Blue is 9-12 lbs? And I going with the 1sq feet per lb I'd be looking at 3'x3' min for a cage? I'm wondering if a 3' foot cage is too deep? Do you keep your ab indoors or outdoors? I plan on keeping mine outdoors for as long as possible, and then moving him inside, but I have a max space indoors of 3'x2'. Outdoors I have unlimited space at the moment. For indoors I was thinking of using NIC cubes, and doing a 3'x2' with 2 levels..

ToesInTheSand":3huylc30 said:
I'll look more into the American Blue, I found 2 breeders near me. For the French Lop I'm having a harder time finding a breeder, I didn't see any TX breeders on the ARBA website.

I saw this and remembered seeing a post about some french lops...looked it up so here is the link http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/grd/3831812625.html ..not sure if they are still available or even if you can travel that far, but maybe they can point you toward a closer breeder ?

I've never raised American Blues... so maybe I'm partial, but I have yet to meet a mean Silver Fox. My SF doe is a couple weeks pregnant, and not really that cranky!! But, they might be hard to find in your area, I don't know.

WildWolf":dbu23aca said:
but I have yet to meet a mean Silver Fox.
I have one that isn't exactly friendly...doesn't bite(acts like she might) but not anything like I heard the breed was. If it wasn't for getting a few others and seeing the contrast I probably would have backed away from the breed. The unfriendly on came with a buck just as unfriendly...but the buck came around and is now sweet so I'm thinking it was the way they were raised before I got them ~shrug~ if her kits end up unfriendly she wont be a breeder here anymore( sitting on the fence about it now) because I really don't want her temperament spreading through the breed.

I love my American Blues, like any breed you still watch for temperament when picking one out. I have one a little skittish but my buck is so friendly. Plus they are fairly heat tolerant. I have mine outside still and I am a few hrs north of you.

Sinnfox - if you like her look/build but dislike her attitude, foster a litter on a nicer doe, so you can get a replacement for her with the nice build, but the foster mom's nice attitude. I had a demon lionhead doe, fostered her kits onto my nicest doe, and ended up with a social butterfly kit. My demon doe was also all for killing her spawn, as well, which is why I fostered the litter in the first place (of the 13 kits she kindled over 3 litters, only 4 made it, none raised by her.)

Bad Habit":kppfagc5 said:
Sinnfox - if you like her look/build but dislike her attitude, foster a litter on a nicer doe, so you can get a replacement for her with the nice build, but the foster mom's nice attitude. I had a demon lionhead doe, fostered her kits onto my nicest doe, and ended up with a social butterfly kit. My demon doe was also all for killing her spawn, as well, which is why I fostered the litter in the first place (of the 13 kits she kindled over 3 litters, only 4 made it, none raised by her.)
Actually I have been thinking of doing that anyway since her kits so far seem to be about half the size they should be...think she isn't feeding them right..if the fostered kits are still tiny then she is just flawed to much to keep ~shrug~

I found two breeders. The one I click with more raises them outdoors, and breeds mr, americans, and lionheads. The other breeder raises mini lops, lionheads, mr, but are raised in climate controlled room. I really like the mini lops, but worry about their ears/heat tolerance and since I'll be raising him outdoors I'm cautious of buying from a climate controlled area. Other lop breeders seem to want $65/80...on cl.

I'd be cautious too about taking a rabbit from a climate controlled environment to living outside.

If you are just looking for a pet why don't you try your local animal shelter? It might be worth a look even if you come away empty handed.

I would go with a Mini Lop they r super layed back and love attention, one of my Mini Lops acts just like a dog. For a Flemish Giant females need a cage of 24 by 36 and males 24 by 24<br /><br />__________ Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:51 pm __________<br /><br />I sell my baby Mini Lops that r not show quality as pets for 15-20 bucks and if u give Mini Lops a water Dish rather than a bottle they will put their ear in the water to cool off and it lowers their over all body temp thus keeping them cooler. Also my Mini Lops seem to do really well even with the crazy weather in Missouri. But if u do move a rabbit from a climate controlled area to outside do it at night or in the morning when it's coolest then they can gradually adjust to the heat as the day wears on. Hope this helps

Latest posts

Back