mosquitos

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dayna

Reaction score
I've noticed some mosquitos bothering one of my litters of rabbits.

Biting them! Can I put a small amount of bug spray (it's 100% deet...) around the nestbox area. Maybe spray it on my hand and then gently rub over the top of the pile of babies?

I worry that the mosquitos which carry a variety of diseases here might be worse for the babies than the bug spray.

Among other things they carry malaria and dengue fever. I have no idea if rabbits can get that.

Don't put anything with Deet on the rabbits. They'll lick it off and ingest it. Try planting lemon grass it's supposed to repel them. Or keep a citronella torch near them.

I put mosquito repelling wrist bands on my cages this summer and put up the spiral ones in the isles.

Worked a treat!

Nothing that needed power or put out a fume due to heat either, just stinky rubber.

In fact, I would forget that I was in a mosquito free zone and step out of it and WHAM! They would swarm me!

When they would start to bug me (get it? mwahahahaaa) in the rabbitry I would know it was time to get more. At a dollar a band and two for the spiral hang up ones, it was a cheap fix. :cool:

Short of building a screened porch kind of rabbitry I havnt found anything else to keep the horrors off the baby bunnies.

GBov":35gmw14v said:
I would forget that I was in a mosquito free zone and step out of it and WHAM! They would swarm me!

:bunnyhop: <--- Happy, spoiled, bug free bunnies... and then we have GBov ---> :mosquitos:

GBov":35gmw14v said:
At a dollar a band and two for the spiral hang up ones, it was a cheap fix.

So the bunnehs got 'em, but no bracelet for you, eh? Selfless, very selfless! :roll:

I like using cheese cloth. My hutches are solid wood so I just hang a piece over the front with a few thumb tacks. keeps out the skeeters and worse around here are the flies...

MamaSheepdog":2xqkipuv said:
GBov":2xqkipuv said:
I would forget that I was in a mosquito free zone and step out of it and WHAM! They would swarm me!

:bunnyhop: <--- Happy, spoiled, bug free bunnies... and then we have GBov ---> :mosquitos:

GBov":2xqkipuv said:
At a dollar a band and two for the spiral hang up ones, it was a cheap fix.

So the bunnehs got 'em, but no bracelet for you, eh? Selfless, very selfless! :roll:

Well, that would be a nice image but I have to confess, the things only seem to work on a body if the body isn't moving AT ALL!

When building the stall for Joker in the boat shed I found where the horrors were breeding and got them all mwahahahaaaaaa. There were three tires right behind the shed FULL of water. They now live under the shed too so a vast reduction should be felt this spring.

Have a look round for ANY breeding grounds, just a half cup of water can breed HUNDREDS!

May I suggest (if you have them in Hawaii) -- the humble and hardworking MUSCOVY DUCK!! They LOVE to eat mosquitoes. You might still need a few of those bracelets GBov mentioned but you will be surprised at how effective a few moscovies can be!

Oh, and the ducks will eat the larvae in the standing water so the "breeding grounds" becomes "lunch cafe"...

You are right! She does -- I looked over in the Muscovy thread to confirm.

Dayna, it seems you need to have a little discussion with your ducks, girlfriend! They are slackin off!

Schipperkesue":2knl5yfq said:
Do you have electricity? A simple occelating fan will literally blow your problems away.

I WISH! Here it takes a VERY windy day indeed to ground the bloodsuckers and my fans only give relief right in front of them but then again, they were unbelievably bad this year.

My dream is for a screened in rabbitry with an extra layer of two by four welded wire fencing to keep out anything bigger that wants a snack of bunny.

Roll on lottery win! :lol:

Just thought about it but have you tried Avon's Skin So Soft? My grandmothers both swore it repelled bugs and I've heard that people use it on their horses and dogs.

Latest posts

Back