Mosquitos!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxine

Reaction score
ARGH! Mosquitos are so bad right now. We live right next a nature area that has a bit of a creek in it, especially now with all the rain and sun, rain and sun we've gotten this spring.

My poor buns are getting swarmed. Especially at dusk. Any suggestions on how to combat them?

I'm right there with you. I'll go out of my way to kill a mosquito.

There are a few plants that repel the winged terrors that are safe around rabbits. Here's a short list...

Basil - Helps with nervous exhaustion. Can also be used topically as an anti itch balm for insect bites.

Lavender - Calms rabbits down and helps with stress/depression.

Rosemary - Helps with exhaustion, weakness and depression.

Thyme - A digestive remedy, good for diarrhea and can help with chest disorders such as yellow phlem.

http://www.quickenloans.com/blog/6-easy ... nts-garden

Incidently - I'm also planting Mint around the rabbit run to repel rats and mice.

You could get one of those zappers that you plug in. They're supposed to kill/deter mozzies for 40ft or so. My friend has one, she says it works just fine.

Basil - Helps with nervous exhaustion.

Nervous, exhausted mosquito:

Thanks for the tips. We had a zapper but the sucker died. We have bad flies under our porch area too. I imagine it comes from the Chicken coop that is right next to our back porch. We have a tiny backyard farm so we squeeze many garden beds and chickens and rabbits in where we can. The amount of livestock has really intensified the pests.

My basil and lavender died. I guess I need to replace them. I can feed rosemary to my buns? I had no idea. I have a huge plant.

The best plant I know for repelling mosquitoes and flies is catnip - Nepeta cataria, not the more decorative Nepeta × faassenii. Here it is a rampant weed, thank goodness, and I have more than I can use. Once established, it will self seed and also spread so what is a small clump this year will be a much bigger plant next year.

If the bugs are bad in the rabbitry, I gather a bunch, bruise it well and hang it in the rabbitry. I also use it as a repellent on myself, just by smushing it and rubbing it one my skin and (old) clothing. Marilla says it makes me smell nice. :benice:

You can try lemmon grass. It can be used in cooking as well. You would have to either replant it each year or keep in in pots and bring it in when it gets colder.

zee":hunn545b said:
Cover the cages with mosquito netting?

I don't know why that didn't occur to me. Just attach it with some sort of standoff to keep it out of reach of curious teeth. Should work on mosquitoes and flies too. Thanks, zee! :)

There is also the citronella plant, the one a lot of the repellant oils are made from.

Latest posts

Back