Mosquitoes!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CochinBrahmaLover

Reaction score
Not sure if right spot, but hey, it says pests!

So anyways, in Alaska (like many other places) Mosquitos are an issue. It's normally not a big deal, bug spray is very useful, but our rabbit is having issues. Silver, our buck, has been getting a lot of Mosquitos attacking him. I've tried to look up recipes for safe repellants, but seeing how we don't grow a certain plant (forget name) I'm stuck at this recipe:

1 garlic clove, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 Tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 Quart water
1 Tablespoon liquid Ivory soap

We have everything and I was ready to use it, until i saw the soap. I'm looking for a recipe (or brand) that I could apply to the bunny, and I don't think if he ingests soap it'll turn out well.

So, here I am. Does anyone know of any brands or recipes for bug repellant to keep Silver happy? He's a pretty content bun, but the bugs are getting to him.
Thank you!

We use sentry natural defense products. There is a spray sold for dogs and cats that also repels mosquitos. I tried it on chickens and guinea pigs without any symptoms. I sprayed it across the top of the door frame of the chicken coop after one of my hens went in to seizures from the buffalo gnats. It cut the gnat population by 75% for about a week. Dogs absolutely hate the smell though. It's strong lemongrass, cinnamon, mint, and other herbals. We actually put half a container of it in to a new spray bottle with water and use it as dog repellent. I think it's just too strong for our very sensitive nosed dogs. It worked when I needed it though. Kept the insane amount of mosquitos off when living next to a wildlife preserve. I just had to grab the dog and then the bottle. It helps to put it on your hands and rub it on instead of spraying.

Catnip (Nepeta cataria) is an excellent mosquito and fly repellent. I believe it is hardy to zone 2. There are commercial products available that are catnip based.

Since only one rabbit needs protecting, why not use window screening over the cage wire? It would give him the best protection of all.

MaggieJ":me3wsaph said:
Catnip (Nepeta cataria) is an excellent mosquito and fly repellent. I believe it is hardy to zone 2. There are commercial products available that are catnip based.

Since only one rabbit needs protecting, why not use window screening over the cage wire? It would give him the best protection of all.
We don't have any left over screening and can't buy any as my dad is currently out of work

Catnip is wonderful though! We actually have one. I could probably grind it up and put it ears?

You don't really have to grind it up, but just crush it or bruise it so the oils are released and then rub it on the areas that you see the worst attacks happening.

Catnip is in the mint family. Pretty much anything mint works to some degree. There is also lemon balm and bee balm in the mint family. Bee balm is great for the ecosystem if it grows in your area and was used by native americans for medicine and food seasoning. It's a spicy mint. Lemon grass is also used in many repellents. Chives might help. The strong onion type scent of breaking chives repels many insects. Dunno if they are perennial where you are. Marigolds can make good mosquito and insect repelling plants if you have a long enough growing season and get the tall varieties. The short border plants don't really help anything above a foot off the ground but one year we grew 5' tall marigolds that worked as a big bug screen across the yard. I've never seen them used in repellents. Only grown in the desired area.

Latest posts

Back