Mosquitoes!!!!!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frecs

Reaction score
Question: Do rabbits get any diseases from mosquitoes? We've had a LOT of rain all Spring and Summer and the mosquitoes are horrible. I've heard that horses in Horry County (just south of me) have been put down due to Eastern Equine Encephalitis gotten from mosquitoes. That has made me wonder if rabbits are at risk for anything...

I've never heard of it. I know dogs are susceptible to heart worms via mosquito bites, but I've never heard of a rabbit getting sick with anything from them, and I live in a state that is infested with the stupid things.

Thanks for asking that questions, I was wondering myself.

Good to know, SatinsRule. :)

Oceanrose":3d69m9m1 said:
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=18+1803&aid=3422 Myxomatosis is spread by mosquitos, and is deadly. It is most common in California and the pacific coast.

I'd never heard of it, but thanks for the info. Quite an interesting read.

Down in Australia we have both Myxomatosis and VHD spread by mosquitoes - both were diseases created to cull out the feral rabbit population but also hit domestic rabbits. Still no Myxo vaccine but we do have an annual one for Calici/VHD.

Take a look at the NJ map, we have positive cases.

The mosquitos here are bad too, such hot (95-109F) temps plus high humidity and flooding.

If you are having issues with multiple rabbits with wry neck, I would be thinking it was pasteurella.

Except that they were not housed close to each other and the kits were with their littermates and doe and no one else was affected. I sure don't want to be dealing with WNV for sure, just making an observation. And, since the rains stopped, so has (please, God!) the wryneck incidences.

Ya'll definitely are at higher risk for WNV than I am. Keep safe.

Back