Mosquito problems

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I live in central Florida so much rain recently its like walking through clouds of them how can I keep them off or away from my rabbits. I have fans blowing at the bunnys and newborns

Is there anything else I can do to keep the Mosquito's away from them

We don't have near the mosquito problem you do, Lizardslaps, but i find catnip plants quite effective against mosquitoes and flies. I know other people use citronella plants or lemon balm, which smell nicer. If you plan to try catnip, make sure you get Nepeta cataria rather than the more ornamental Nepeta mussinii.

A cut bunch of catnip hung in the rabbitry and well bruised to release the scent will help keep mosquitoes and flies away. Give it a good squeeze whenever you go in and replace it when its scent fades.

Am having the same problem here too! They are AWFUL!!!

Beauty berry leaves rubbed on keep them off us but I haven't figured out a way to use them on the buns. Next time I find citronella plants on sale I am going to put a few on top of my cages. That way I can take care of them and they can keep the vampires away.

MaggieJ":23fn2h93 said:
make sure you get Nepeta cataria rather than the more ornamental Nepeta mussinii.

Seriously? The latin name for catnip is nepeta cataria? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lizardslaps":1twdyh73 said:
Managed to solve it with 3 more fans whole bunny area is a wind tunnel now no skeeters on or around the bunnies now

That did make me laugh! I do the same with my ceiling fan at night to keep them off of me so why didnt I think to do it with the buns?

Latest posts

Back