Moringa powder verses Fresh

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baefull.wolfbunnies

Reaction score
Hi guys,

i saw a few other posts about feeding Moringa to rabbits, however what i didn't see is wither they fed powder or fresh plant. I recently received my seeds and will be growing them in the near future. I have read that the powder is almost more nutritious then the fresh but I have also read that only the vitamin A survives the powdering process. I am always looking for alternative feed sources for my buns, I had to switch to pellets because the buns weren't getting then nutrients they needed and I would love to get them off of them. I also thought about using the cut/broken branches and chew toys for them but I have read for horticulture sights that there are unsavory elements to the wood/bark.

If anyone has experience with feeding Moringa; either fresh or powdered; Let me know please!

Thanks

there is a moringa group on facebook as well. main admin of it is in texas and sells seeds and different sized cuttings for planting. one woman on the group also has a website or ebay etc that sells started trees in pots.

Powered versions of ALL foods are more nutrient dense because the water has been removed :( (and why you should only compare foods on a "dry matter" DM basis ;) ) I suspect the powdered Moringa on the market is made from the left overs from oil extraction but if you want to turn whole leaves into hay it should not effect the nutrients (age and sunlight will so keep it in a dark area and no more than 6 months)

From feedipedia -
Moringa leaves are a valuable source of protein for ruminants but they have a moderate palatability. They are used in smallholder rabbit farming in several African countries. Using moringa leaves in poultry, pigs and fish is feasible but only in limited amounts due to the presence of fibre and antinutritional factors. Moringa oil seed cake, the by-product of oil extraction, is poorly palatable to livestock and mainly used as green manure or flocculating agent in water treatments. Moringa seeds seem to be toxic to rabbits.

Personally we use both Fresh and dried, one called Moringa + Herbs For Rabbits (Rabbit Fresh Popurri) at www.eppsurbanhomestead.com/store/p59/Moringa___Herbs_For_Rabbits_%28Rabbit_Fresh_Popurri%29.html
and a Moringa Dried Rabbit Feed, which has kept our Rabbits very healthy.. :D :bunnyhop:

Attachments

• moringa rabbits2.jpg
    moringa rabbits2.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 2,937
I feed my rabbits fresh moringa leaves occasionally,some of my rabbits love it some don't. I cut the stems 5 inch length (1-2 inch diameter) and use them as their chew toys, it's safe for them.

Latest posts

Back