More snuffles questions....

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cereshill

Reaction score
So, if F1 has snuffles what about prior litters? I have saved does from some; would it be unwise to save any of what will be her last? If 90% of rabbits carry and most do not show, would there not be a possibility that they are more "vigorous" if they survive this episode?

wondering how this should shake out....

They're less "vigorous" because they're showing the disease.

I'd cull anything showing symptoms, and cull anything you suspect might have it. Is this your meat stock? If so, if I were you I'd cull anything that's been in contact with the doe, her litters, and even things within the same room. Snuffles is tricky once it hits a herd. And from what I've heard with the bad luck going on over there, if this is just a meat herd, scrap what you can and pick up some new stock. There's a lady in lacy who's selling a bunch of satin and meat crosses.

I tend to agree with ShadedNight. You could, of course, just close the herd and continue, euthanizing sick individuals as necessary, but unless you are extremely careful, you would be putting your farm herd at risk doing so. You could not in good conscience sell rabbits from your home location, allow anyone into that rabbitry or bring in new rabbits.

I strongly suggest have a rabbit showing symptoms tested to find out what you are dealing with before making a decision.

I'm conflicted - culling a herd and starting over may not solve the problem

personally I'd practise excellent biosecurity and euth syptomatic animals (in your situation)

I'd also identify what exactly I was dealing with through testing - presuming it's pasturella is one thing killing a whole herd on that basis is quite another

I ask, becuase on another board, peopele with this issue were told to keep kits that survived and didn't show. I am fine meating out the herd; I also can keep it closed...

My most likely approach will be to cull out any symptomatic animals as we have plenty of productive does. I would rather breed for health and vigor and not be concerned with this popping up from reserved animals.

Back