Moody Doe

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paper_crane2

Reaction score
(I'm not sure if this should be here or in the wool rabbits section)

I bred my french angora doe a week ago and was also in the process of plucking her. Now she won't even let me touch her and she growls if I try and brush her.

So my first question is if I should be really worried that she has a bunch of un-plucked wool and she won't let me take it off. I was worried of wool block. She'll probably let me touch her again after she has her babies right?

Second question: is her moodiness a good sign that she is actually pregnant.

Does will grumble at a male trying to woo them if they are not in the mood or if they are pregnant so it should be a good sign :D

Loose and un-plucked hair is more likely to form mats and be ingested and increase the chance of wool block.

I would keep brushing her enough to prevent matting but not pluck for yarn. After a bit of fuss she should just freeze and let you finish and you should do so as quickly as possible.

I would take the wool off if it's ready. Leave the tummy wool just in case for babies.

My does get ugly when they want to be bred, and after a week or so. Right before they kindle, they are super friendly. I had a doe that was only friendly when she was bred.

I try to take the wool that is ready off, but she won't let me. I don't want to restrain her or anything so I'm not exactly sure what to do.

If the choice is restraining or her getting mats that can cause skin issues and need cutting out ( I'm sure shell sit nice for that procedure - not ) or ingesting all that loose fur and getting wool block I think you should restrain her.

Back