Momma has snuffles--litter is 4 weeks. what to do?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cereshill

Reaction score
One of our better does Bubble has snuffles coming on. One of her kits showed it, I culled it out two days ago. Wondering if I should cull her now or wait for them to get bigger. Born June 18 or 11---gotta check. They are really good size and she has been a great mom and milker. Threw 12 on this litter
They are in the hospital hutch for now...
thx

If they are isolated and you are scrupulous about biosecurity, there is no rush. Grow them out and see how it goes, then if necessary cull the doe and the kits.

What makes you think it is snuffles? Have you had previous outbreaks? New rabbits added that are suspect and/or were not kept in isolation for a month? It doesn't just come from nowhere, although it can lie dormant in a rabbit and appear in times of stress. It is also possible that they have some other kind of respiratory trouble. Did you open up the kit you culled to take a look? (Questions, questions... Sorry about that!)

I was going to say much the same thing - there should be some reason it appeared if it truly is pasturella - stress or a new rabbit or soemthing

it could be a reacction to new hay or something as well ..

Smog, humidity, mould or mildew, seasonal pollen allergies, hay, fly sprays, solvents. tobacco smoke, perfumes or aftershave on caregivers... all the things that can cause allergic reactions in people can cause them in rabbits. Look for what has changed.

Hmm, she has been with us for nearly a year. I am not sure what has changed other than she doesn't like me handling her kits. It could also be hay/feed dust. Either way I pulled them to another cage and will clean the old one. will let you know. I would hate to lose her as she has been a great momma and they grow out fast!

Okay, I wouldn't be in a hurry to cull. This could be an allergy or other respiratory problem. Keep them isolated and care for them last, then wash and change clothes etc. just in case. It could be snuffles, but unless the rabbit becomes much more ill in the next couple of days, I would not be surprised if the symptoms just fade away.

yup - sounds like my Niobe scare in the fall - clear mucous - neuetered him so he could live with the girls and all is good again :)

If you feed fresh greens at all, you could try giving her dill (leaves, stems and flowers) and dandilion leaves. Dill is known to support the respitory systems and dandilion is a over-all good tonic and helps produce milk. Maggie probably could give you other great suggestions for herbs.

My thoughts are with you. I had a doe get really ill after a large litter and, like yours, she was one of my best. She did get better and go on to have many more litters. I hope it is the same in your case.

Just had this happen with a BEW Mini Rex doe. This doe had mastitis, lost an upper portion of a mammary gland last litter, healed perfectly and was hale and hearty, so I bred her. She had 6 kits, did fine until they were 2-3 weeks old, then started blowing snot. I bred this doe, I've had her all her life, and I really babied her when she had mastitis, but her immune system couldn't take the stress of having another litter. I normally would have treated her with injectable penicillin, even though she was nursing, but instead I let her go, and weaned a 6 week old litter and moved their mother in with the 3-4 week old litter. She took them over and is feeding them just fine. I myself would probably medicate your doe based on her litter size, for perhaps two weeks, until the kits are ready to wean. If the kits are for meat though you may not want to do that.

kits are for meat; did you put yours down?

__________ Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:18 pm __________

So, I got home and two are blowing white snot. I put them down. The oterhs are clear in the nostrils. I think I will have to cull out the doe as well. She sneezes periodically.<br /><br />__________ Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:34 pm __________<br /><br />After dinner, I went out and watched. She continued to blow and wheeze. Reluctantly, I culled her out. She was the daughter of our first buck "big boy". I found her gentle, a protective and caring mother who threw some good litters and milked well. I thanked her for her time with us and she went quickly...

Its a lot easier to cull out for lack of productivity or bad traits; harder when a good animal gets a bum deal.

Sorry I should have been clearer, the mother was blowing snot, not the 4 week old kits. I gave the kits to another doe, and so far their fine, no signs of any thing, although I am watching them. Thats why I felt it was an immune problem as opposed to serious contagious pasteurella. I've heard from other breeders of does who only show signs of snot and problems when their nursing and raising a litter, and are healthy when on their own, it does seem to happen a good bit. I expect immune problems with the BEW but it still stinks, I liked that doe. Sometimes you just don't have a choice, sorry about your doe.

Better to cull then have it become a contagion. I hated to do it; she had some really great attributes. I pulled the kits and they are a ways away to grow out for meat; one of the does is so large for her age- I really wanted her for a breeder.

I see no reason not to keep the promising young doe as a breeder -- as long as she exhibits no symptoms and continues to develop well. Just be sure to track her progress, mindful of the possibility of immune system weakness. Depends, I think, on how badly you want/need her genetics in your herd.

Maggie
This issue is that she is quarentined with the others; most have white snot and wheeze. I have them about 20' away from the herd. I will have to grow them out for meat use only. I doubt I want to risk keeping her...

Back